Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Hollyhock Vase & Miscanthus Leaf Vase

Hollyhock Vase is another inspriation from my herb garden. This is a substantial vase with an oval shape almost rectangular with full size hollyhock leaves attached on either side and measures 6.5 inches tall at the top of the leaves and 5 x 3.25 inches wide. The vase was slab built with applied leaves and the clay is brown stoneware. I was pleasantly surprised at how the glaze turned out on this dark brown stoneware clay and I just love how the veining in the leaves is still noticeable. I am finding each clay body affects final outcome of the glaze color differently. This dark brown clay has a smooth texture and stays workable when handbuilding.


Miscanthus Leaf Vase was made with Russian River stoneware clay and measures 7.5 inches tall and 3.25 inches in diameter. Here again I have used a different type of stoneware clay and it has affected the color of the glaze in a unique way. This vase was inspired by the leaves of an ornamental grass I have in front yard. Russian River clay has a firmer texture than the Dark Brown stoneware clay and is a firmer clay with more grog for handbuilding.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love suggestions, questions, critiques, thanks for your comment