Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Turkey Soup


It was foggy here today and it never did clear up. My back was finally doing well enough for me to expend a little energy, so I decided to make some turkey soup. This year Gary cooked the turkey and he is really proud of himself. Gary froze most of the turkey the other day, but I told him to save the bones so I could make soup when I was able.

I started with 8 cups of water in a large crock pot. I added in our leftover turkey carcass. I put in one small can of diced tomatoes, 5 stalks of chopped celery, 4 large carrots chopped, and lots of spices like salt, pepper, oregano, tarragon, bay leaves, rosemary, cilantro, celery seed and a bunch of other spices I found in the cabinet but can't remember. I set the crock pot on high for 4 hours, after about 3.5 hours I added in some medium shell noodles.

Gary said he is glad I am feeling better, that he was really worried about my back. (more about my back in another post). I think I might have to cook the soup for another 4 hours tomorrow to bring out all the flavors, but it is really looking good. The carcass provided a lot of flavor and more than I expected of leftover meat into the soup. I pulled out the carcass at 3.5 hours and pulled off as much meat as I could and then tossed the bones.


As I was cleaning the bones, I found the wishbone. Gary and I are basically kids at heart. Gary and I tried to make a wish on the wishbone, but it was too pliable. While we were pulling on the wishbone Gary said, "Is it a secret wish"? I said, "Of course!" I put the wishbone in the cabinet and hope we get to make a wish on it tomorrow. I'll let you know how the soup and the wishbone turn out on my next post.

4 comments:

  1. The soup sounds delicious. It's definitely soup weather! Did you get the results from your MRI? I sure hope your back is feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! I made stock monday, but no soup yet.
    I would wish for health and happiness, sprinkled with some world peace and such.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Judy, I ended up cooking the soup another 4 hours so we'll have it tonight. Read the next post for my MRI results and thanks so much for asking, I appreciate it.

    Well Meredith, I am definitely wishing for health - we'll try the wishbone again tonight.

    Hi Gary, I need all the luck I can get, sometimes I think my Gary and I may wish for the same things, maybe they come true if that happens, thx.

    ReplyDelete

I love suggestions, questions, critiques, thanks for your comment