Monday, May 31, 2010

Freedom Isn't Free


After the thunderstorm yesterday evening I was wondering why I moved to Florida. The cats were really scared, heck I was too. I was sure any minute a lightening bolt would come straight through the house and strike me where I stood. The cats and I all got in an interior room and waited while lightening struck all around us.


The electricity went out and the pinch pot I was making had to wait. I covered it up with plastic and hoped it wouldn't dry out too much. This morning the birds are chirping as if to say, enjoy the calm before the storm again this afternoon.


I'll have to arrange my clay making and firing schedules to avoid thunderstorm time of late afternoon. Might have to start firing at midnight and finish up in the morning because the afternoons seem to bring the thunderstorms.


These pots are small pinch pots I made from sculpture clay. The glazes seem to like this clay. Folding the edges together allowed for pooling of the glaze in the crevices, I'll have to remember to do that more often. The first pot (front view, then interior) is 2 x 1.5 inches. The second is 1 x 3 inches and the third is 1.5 x 2.75. My photography seems to be regressing instead of progressing. For convenience and storage I've decided on an easy cube to go with my graduated backdrop for photographing my work. So hopefully I'll receive the one I ordered soon and I'll find that graduated backdrop. One of the things I hate about moving, it seems like it takes months to get stuff sorted out where you can find it easily.


After attending a party at the neighbor's Saturday night I woke up to sciatica so I haven't gotten as much done as I wanted. Gary is in California now and will be heading out with the treasure bus in a day or two. When he gets back I hope to have some photos from his trip to show you since he remembered to bring his camera with him. Up next I'll show you some pieces I've been working on experimenting with some new colors of mason stains mixed in slips.


Today I'm appreciating those who serve to keep our country free; freedom isn't free. Choices often come at a cost; I'm thankful for my freedoms. Comments and suggestions are welcome.

11 comments:

  1. Just think hurricane season starts this week, you have many more fun storms to come! Florida gets hit pretty hard this time of year, through November. You get used to it, I used to sleep through the hurricanes when I was a kid:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. HURRICANES??!! Yikes Linda -batten down the hatches or at least the Clay!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this pottery...it's wonderful!!! I live in Kansas...tornado alley! The lightening and thunder don't bother me very much, but the thought of a hurricane or tornado sends shivers. Very Scary!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. it is that time of year- we had a strom roll through today.
    Which had us in a panic, since we are firing the big gas kiln....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Linda...thunderstorms and hurricanes and SNOW in Alberta on May 30th..!! good grief!...
    ..nice to see your work again... I have been on a bit of a blogging hiatus, but ...back at it.:)..hope your sciatica clears up soon..T.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  7. HI Tracey, thanks, hopefully we are out of range of the hurricaines, that's why we picked the interior, but the swimming pool filled up to the brim in a couple of minutes, and the storm was considered a tropical storm, so not sure what a hurricaine would do. Ugh

    Hi Cindy, thanks, hopefully the hatches will hold with a block home and new roof, I need to get some battery lights set up for other storms coming I guess.

    Hi Turquoisemoon, thanks, glad you like the pots, these are little mini pots. I think the red clays work better with some of these glazes. I don't have any right now, but I will be getting more. The iron must react with the chemicals and make the swirly colors which I love, almost like reduction firing. The lightening was literally right over us and it does strike many people in Florida. I would prefer earthquakes to this. A mild storm in the distance is one thing, right over my head is another.

    Hi Meredith, thanks, yes I guess we have to work around the storms. In california there were no storms in the summer only winter, here they are all the time. With no TV or radio I need to start checking the weather on the internet to stay informed.

    Hi Trish, thanks, glad you like the pots, loooking forward to your blogging return. Snow, I don't envy you. I may have spelled siatica wrong, but maybe not. oh well, I type faster than I think sometimes, ha or is it the other way around.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Florida does have some awesome storms outside of the hurricanes. They also have more tornadoes than any state besides Texas. You really need at least a NOAA radio and a generator is a smart investment.
    Outside of that, you are living in paradise.
    Love those pots.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Poor kitties, I would say hug them and keep them close, but if they are like mine, they wouldn’t let you. My cats hate bad weather, the door bell, and strangers. But they are better watch dogs, than our dog. Molly the golden retriever would let a thief in and wag her tail then, say, “Mi casa, su casa, and the dog biscuits are right over there.” The cats however will growl, and stalk you, and look very unwelcoming. They also do that during bad weather, while the dog hides.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Patti, thanks, Gary does have a scanner with Noaa, but it runs on electric, so if the electric goes out that's it. We are going to look at generators when he gets back, I think it may be necessary here. A little bad with the good.

    Hi Connie, welcome and thanks, yes, I am amazed at what good watch dogs - cats are, they are much more alert to every sound, Binky is the most scared during storms. he was raised with a dog we had who has since passed away and the dog was always afraid of thunder and so Binky picked that up from our dog, strange how that goes. Butter and Betty do ok in the storms. This one was particularly bad as it was literally right over our house.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Connie, I thought you were another Connie, he he.

    ReplyDelete

I love suggestions, questions, critiques, thanks for your comment