Sunday, November 7, 2010

Tumbling Triangles


I'm jazzed about the geometric pieces I keep coming back to. This tumbling triangles piece is 15 x 4 x 1.5 inches. If I can keep these pieces under sixteen inches they'll fit in my kiln nicely. My drying shelves are only 14 inches tall, so I have to kneel down with the piece held in both hands to put it in a lower kitchen cabinet. I always worry I'll hit it against something or drop it. I need a special cabinet for taller pieces. My studio has spread to nooks and crannies all over the house.

In the back of my mind I want to go big, really big. Somehow I'll find a way to do that. For now really big is on the back burner, simmering. Unless, make that until, I can perfect the details on a totem style piece, that's another simmering idea. I know Tracey did a totem project some time ago; can't seem to find the post. What about you, do you have things simmering on the back burner?


I arranged the triangles differently on the other side, so tumbling triangles is a reversible piece. When I made the piece, I liked the second one, now I think I like the first one. I can think of all kinds of possibilities for more triangle designs. Then there are squares, circles, and so on. I may even cover a piece completely with geometric shapes.

Building tall narrow rectangular shapes is a challenge, which I relish, and applying the geometric sprigs is fun, so I think the glazing will also be fun. I'm wondering how I can build a plastic mold for geometric shaped pieces instead of cardboard or wood. Round isn't a problem because I can use PVC pipe. I use forms because I work with semi soft slabs and plastic is lightweight yet sturdy and can be sprayed with WD40 or Pam so the clay won't stick. I may contact a plastic store about square and triangular shaped forms; I'm sure custom forms would cost an arm and a leg. Plexiglass isn't inexpensive either. There's so much made of plastic nowadays, there must be something I could use.

Recently Judy had a post about her earthenware journey which got me thinking about my own journey in clay. I'm rolling all kinds of ideas around in my head about my past journey and what the future holds, so expect a post about that.


Meanwhile I'm back working on my art booth display; I'm priming the shelves now. I've set up the saw horses inside because with the cooler weather the paint dries inside much quicker. The display was delayed since the yard sale was time consuming and exhausting. The sale was fun and profitable. A few odds and ends we didn't sell we left by the curb for free and all that's gone too. I met so many neighbors and also had several folks sign up for clay classes I'll start after the first of the year. Today I'll finish priming, tackle those hinges, and go to a local art show.

12 comments:

  1. Hi Linda - The triangles are interesting. Look forward to seeing how these develop. Glad your yard sale went well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Patricia, thanks, I can't wait to glaze these. Hope your sale went well too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love these pieces! Understand about the spreading all over the house. Hubby remarked yesterday that I really needed an industrial warehouse to have enough room for all my piddlins. I try to keep it under control, but it just keeps growning!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Sharon, thanks, part of all the stuff is my fault because I've waited so long to fire my work. Now that I am out of clay I'll have to fire and glaze and then I'll have more room again. It does have a way of growing doesn't it. Ha

    ReplyDelete
  5. My friend Carroll on facebook suggested using candle molds for forms, I looked into those but most aren't as tall as I'd like them. I am still looking into other types of forms.

    ReplyDelete
  6. After last summer's garage sale, I vowed that I'll never, ever, ever have another one. Dickering prices of a 25cent is not my idea of fun nor was it profitable for three days of work...not to mention all the pricing, cleaning and setting up each day. Never again...if I ever mention it, you all can send me cyber smacks. Love your new pieces and can't wait to see them finished. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yaaay! so glad your sale went well! how fun to have classes on your agenda! I'm liking your taller works -the building theme(?) seems like can take you far. On some of my larger sculptures I used foam rubber and recycled mailing tubes.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Turqouisemoon, thanks, other sales we've had folks have done the same thing to us, but we thought we'd give it a try here and it was different. We only had one guy who said will you take ten cents for a shovel we had priced at $2, Gary told him he'd take $5 then and the guy said I can't deal with you and walked away. Other than that folks paid our prices, although we had stuff priced very reasonable and we also sold a lot of lavender and dried flowers and gardening books I had left over from my lavender gardens in California, again very inexpensive and we priced stuff with only dollars so we didnt have to make change, like two for a dollar, etc.

    Hi Cindy, thanks, yeah we were kind of dreading having a sale, but it went very well. Mailing tubes, those come in triangles, um I may have to check into those. Seems like cardboard is the least expensive way to go, I was just hoping to find some sizes ready made in plastic, it is so easy to spray, I found I site that has plastic and will call them this am to see what they have in excess stock, they deal in hundreds of pieces and I only want one of each Ha, I may have to go to one of those mailbox places and see what they have and go back to Joanns and get some foam.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the tall pieces, they are stunning! And looks like your display shelves are coming along nicely. I used to have a yard sale every year, but now I just drop everything off at Goodwill. Too much work! lol

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love even the words, "tumbling triangles." what a great idea and I look forward to what you do with other shapes. Unlimited possibilities. Unlimited fun! I love how Gary responded to your dickerer.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Really Really BIG would be fantastic! i like these

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Marguerite, thanks, things are progressing slowly due to packing and unpacking all the yard sale items, but hopefully will move along quickly this week. The yard sale proceeds enabled me to purchase clay for the next several months, so it was a good thing.

    Hi Teresa, thanks, originally I had named them falling triangles, but then the tumbling words came to me and I think they are much better. Lucky I wasn't outside when that particular guy came by, I wouldn't have been as poetic as Gary. ha.

    Hi Ben, thanks, yeah, really big would be good for sure. When I lived on the West coast I knew a woman who made full size sculptures and had them fired in a car kiln once year after they had dried out that long. Can't help it if I dream big, hopefully with a will there is a way.

    ReplyDelete

I love suggestions, questions, critiques, thanks for your comment