Wednesday, December 8, 2010
All Day Long
It took all day long yesterday calling the home warranty people over and over again to get them to "authorize" payment for the well pump. I spoke to seven different people and was on hold for at least 15 minutes with each call and one call for over an hour. From 9 am in the morning till 6:30 pm in the evening I hassled with the warranty company to get them to approve payment for the well pump replacement.
The well company also had to talk to the warranty company on the phone many times, including the bookkeeper, the owner, and the well technician numerous times, faxing the estimate and re faxing the estimate over and over again. They even questioned why the final bill was less than originally estimated. I tried to explain to them the well company didn't know how deep the well was till they pulled up the casing and that the well wasn't as deep as they thought, so the estimate was less because of that. All they did was repeat again and again, but why was the final bill less?
I had to verify my name, address, phone number, and claim number each time I called and listen to them saying this call may be monitored and recorded for quality assurance. I almost told them I was recording their call for quality assurance on the last call but I didn't. Wonder what they would have said to that?
I think warranty companies hope homeowners will give up and pay themselves. Then the warranty people say the work wasn't authorized and won't pay for it. But I was persistent and got them to pay for the pump. We had to pay $376 and the warranty people agreed to pay $821. They will pay for the pump, but not the labor to pull it out of the ground or install it and they wouldn't pay to replace the wire from 2 wires to three which is standard or code now. They wanted to know why the wire needed to be replaced? I said because it was in the ground since 1982 and it was corroded. There was the extra $65 we paid originally to have the well pump covered in the warranty in the first place as our cost too. As of 6:30 pm we now have a new well pump and running water, but the well company and I were put through the ringer to get it done.
Needless to say I didn't get anything else done all day long. I was totally exhausted dealing with them anyway. This platter was from the other day. I was going to paint some chicken wire over the top in a grid, but was worried I'd smear the chickens so I left it like it is. I overlapped the slip colors on the chickens and then blended it with my fingers. I might make some baby chick plates to go with the platter. Hopefully I'll have more energy today for some creativity.