Friday, December 31, 2010

Happy New Year 2011

Rutile Pyramid Goblets
by Linda Starr

I toast you all into the new year, and I hope you have a happy, healthy, and prosperous new year. These are the pyramid goblets I made a short time ago. The bowls are pinched and I slab built the stems. I didn't know for sure which clay I had for the four goblets, so I glazed two one way and the other two with a different glaze, instead of four the same color.

Lavender Pyramid Goblets
by Linda Starr

I don't have a potter's wheel or a banding wheel so I cut the rims by eye. I use a dollar store lazy susan, and I just noticed it's not level. No wonder my work leans a little. Ha! I've been looking for a used potter's wheel but haven't found one yet. I plan to make more pyramid goblets and change a few more details on them.

Before Gary and I were married he took a wine appreciation class and learned quite a bit about California wines, what to look for, and how to judge the taste. He also found out wine doesn't have to be expensive for it to taste good. The Rex Goliath Chardonnay was acceptable as well as the 2009 Barefoot Zinfandel, and both were very reasonable in price.

Most wines, especially reds, should be opened and left to breathe before drinking. Keep in mind every year and every case of wine is different and how they are stored makes a difference too. No, we didn't drink both bottles last night, I just saved a few empty bottles for photographic backdrops.

Last year when I was living and traveling in my motorhome I came up with the original idea for this style of goblet. The next two are the first pyramids goblets I designed back then. I liked them so much I vowed to make more. The stems of these are shorter and the bowl shape is more martini shaped than the ones above. I like both styles of these goblets.

Green & Black Pyramid Goblets
by Linda Starr

I also designed these wavy stemmed goblets while in my motorhome and I called them aperitif goblets since the bowl is just a taste full. Or they could be a fancy shot glass too. Ha! I haven't made any more of these yet, but I will. After I make a new piece I think about the shape for a while, maybe test it, and see if it needs improvement. These wavy goblets need a bigger pedestal to make them more stable. So that's a change I'll make for these.

Golden Aperitif Goblets
by Linda Starr

After I made the goblets I got the idea to make mugs with stems. Now that I'm thinking of it, I could probably make a mug with a pyramid base too. I get ideas just typing up my posts, pretty cool. How about you, do you get ideas of things to make when you're typing a blog post? Maybe other things to write about?

If you're looking for some unique drinking vessels, a few of these will be in my etsy store, Blue Starr Gallery, shortly. Just click here or on the link at the top, right hand side of my blog and voila, you'll be shopping online.

Gold Speckled Stemmed Mugs
by Linda Starr

I still can't believe I made so much work while traveling in my RV and none of it broke. I guess it doesn't matter where I am or what size my studio is, there's always room for creativity. Thanks to all of you for following me and for your words of encouragement, every comment means a whole lot to me. It's nice to know there's folks like you out there encouraging me along in my clay endeavors. Happy New Year 2011.
View Creative Commons License

11 comments:

  1. Hi Dennis, thanks, we just finished eating burdock, next post up, all about it which I highly recommend. Happy New Year to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheers Linda!
    Happy New Year!
    I am catching up on things and I will get back to your email.
    M

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will mentally hoist a glass of wine with you to toast the new year.
    Have a wonderful 2011.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Meredith, thanks, happy new year to you and Mark.

    Hi Patti, thanks, I should have said that a cranberry splashs is just as good in these goblets and for a toast too. I get that cranberry juice that is full strength that has no sugar, just pure cranberry juice. I fill a glass three quarters with cold water and then I add the rest of that cranberry juice, it tastes really good and is good for your kidneys too and there is no sugar or any of that corn syrup in it either. The jar costs more, but when you only use a splash of it each time it lasts quite a long time. I'm drinking one right now and the jar says it's made by Lakewood, 100% pure juice, not from concentrate. Kind of tangy to the taste, but I like it that way. I'll have to do a post on that coming up soon, since I think it's really good for folks. Happy New Year to you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like you've been having fun! Stay warm and Happy New Year, Linda!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Teresa, thanks so much, Happy New Year to you, hope you are having some fun too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Best wishes for a Happy 2011 Linda!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Kathy, thanks for stopping by and hope you have a Happy New year.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The goblets are great... Love your attitude about doing your creative work anywhere! Happy New Year Linda!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Patricia, thanks, it's easy for me to have that attitude now, I'm not in the motorhome, te he. Well it did keep me somewhat sane while I was in there. Have a good one.

    ReplyDelete

I love suggestions, questions, critiques, thanks for your comment