Monday, August 22, 2011

Something Fishy


There's something fishy going on in the studio this week. This fish gives me the feeling he's blown up with air. I've got straight lines in one direction and curvy ones in the other and I've put chartreuse slip in the lines. I'm wondering what the background would look like with both directions curvy.

Here's another guy mostly black and white with some crimson thrown in to coordinate with the background. I shaded each of the ovals with another color; I'm not sure how that blending of colors will end up after firing.



I hate to risk all these slip painted works I've been making over the last several weeks with a clear glaze. There's always the possibility of too thick an application of turning cloudy, Since I've got some deep carved lines, using a glaze might have a tendency to pool in the crevices and be too thick. (I just realized I didn't carve the ovals; might be too busy if I did; guess I'll leave them like they are). This is probably where spraying the glaze would be better, but I've never tried that before, one of these days. I'm wondering if I can coat these with a sealer after firing. I guess I'll have to practice on some test pieces to see how I like different coatings.

I'm also thinking about of how I'll hang these and the other's I've made this past few weeks. I can either attach wood blocks on the reverse with eye hooks with a wire between to hang. Or I could mount them recessed in a shadow box type of wood frame. These wall sculptures are about 9 x 12 inches, so a wood shadow box frame would make them fairly large if I leave a border around the edge of them. What do you think? Thanks for your comments and happy Monday to you.


10 comments:

  1. My two cents: frames tend to hold things in place and these fish need to swim, or have the appearance of movement, so I'd not do frames. Sure do like that top one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Teresa, thanks, I did want them to look like they were swimming hence the curves edges, so perhaps you are right. If I put blocks on the reverse, they stand out from the wall as if they are floating and I like that look.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the design and color of fish with the ovals. Could you thin out a bit of your clear glaze and brush on for a light sheen? (Guess that would only work if the underglazes are already fired on)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Barbara, thanks so much, I have been thinning it out and on smooth surfaces that works well, but whenever I have a piece with texture or carvings, the glaze tends to pool in those parts and that's the part that gets cloudy and I don't want to dull the details.

    I've got to go back over my spray glaze notes and do some testing because I do want some type of surface to make it easier to wipe clean and so dust doesn't collect in the recesses and the glaze would be the best I think.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd be nervous too about all the time put into the lovely tiles and then to have the final clear glaze not work out -maybe a clear spray finish would work fine -especially if they are going to be wall mounted. I'd use plate hangers (large -heavy duty) to display them because of the natural edges and fluid shapes you have -they look great. I used the plate hangers on my tiles with success. They are affordable and don't detract from the art.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Cindy, thanks, I've used those place hangers for other pieces I made a few years ago, but these are a bit thicker. I'll one and try it out and see how it works. I didn't realize they are so sturdy, good idea, thanks for that. Only thing I don't like about some plate hangers is they make the piece tilt at the bottom and I like it to be evenly spaced away from the wall, but maybe there are better quality ones that work better.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Since these tiles aren't functional why don't you try Dorland’s Wax Medium – it's a paste like wax that you rub a thin coat on, let it set and then rub it with a soft cloth. It seals the surface, and gives it a bit of a sheen.

    Or you could use an acrylic glaze.

    I really like your tiles. There was a post on Ceramic Arts Daily that showed a cool way to prepare tiles for hanging. Here's the link:

    http://ceramicartsdaily.org/pottery-making-techniques/making-ceramic-tile/what-a-relief-make-a-great-impression-with-slab-built-ceramic-wall-art/?floater=99

    Hope that works. If not it was posted on July 4 - 'What a Relief'

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Judy, thanks so much, I think I need to make a test tile with all the different variations I am using and then put the various coatings on it to test them. I am sure some would look better with certain ones and others with another. The Dorlands seems similar to what I have used on my barrel fired ceramics but I was never completely happy with the results with those, I used minwax paste wax for those and it seemed to dull the color. I usually read Ceramic Arts Daily perhaps I missed that post I will check it, thanks ever so much for this information. So glad to have your advice and encouragement.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Linda - I like the fish and the alligator- I don't think you need a frame these will look great just hung with something simple on the back.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Meredith, thanks so much, hope they make through the firing without cracks. At least with more than one some may make it, ha.

    ReplyDelete

I love suggestions, questions, critiques, thanks for your comment