Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Turkey of a Different Feather


Here's another colorful wall sculpture in the geometry series. Of course, these will look different once they're fired. Not sure what the colors with do on this red stoneware clay I'm using.

You know how I like to say white rabbit the first day of the month for good luck; head on over to Charlene's blog to see her rabbit, rabbit sculpture; of course I love it. And here's a sailboat adrift in the waters of life.

I think I might have been influenced by my blogger friend Teresa's dream post.


We just had ground turkey the other day and yesterday I read it has sickened hundreds of people across the country, one has died. The CDC knew and didn't tell us till this week?


Over the last several months my cats have been sick off and on, throwing up, sleeping a lot, lethargic. I also noticed they didn't like Purina One cat food any more. They'd go up to the bowl, sniff it and walk away. So I started switching brands trying to find food they liked. I just heard there's a recall due to the ground turkey in the food. My cats knew the food was bad.

That reminds me of a turkey of a different feather I made when I was about nine or ten years old. I took a big piece of cardboard about two foot square and drew a turkey with his tail feathers spread nicely. Then I took rice kernels and dyed them many different colors. Then I took a tweezers and glue and filled in the whole turkey, one piece of rice at a time. I remember each tail feather was a different color; I used to love that turkey. Over time lots of the rice fell off; I'm not sure what ever happened to that turkey. Thanks for reading and for all your comments.

7 comments:

  1. Wesley and I made a turkey like yours when she was in third grade, but we used different colored beans. I still have it and we put it out every Thanksgiving. I love it! Also, like the sailboat :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The closest I came was tracing my hand and then making it into a turkey, at about the same age.

    Thanks for the nod, and thanks for the tip about the food. My Purina dog food (Beneful) seems to be turkey free, but it's something I will be more aware of now. Yeah, animals know.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Tracey, thanks, so glad you kept that turkey Wesley made. I wish I would have put some glue over the top of mind and saved it, but I think the cardboard had creases in it too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Teresa, thanks, animals know, we kept thinking our cats had hair balls, but it must have been the food, poor things.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like the sail boat. Maybe it's the heat, but the sale boat looks inviting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad you didn't get sick and that your cats knew better. I used to eat a lot of ground turkey. Sure glad I became a vegetarian.
    You commented that you didn't remember Arkansas being so hot. We hit 117(actual temperature) today with a low of 84 last night. This is all new with in the last few years. Yuck.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Lori, thanks, yeah it's probably the heat, I think it does have a bit of movement in there too, I'm trying to work on that aspect.

    Hi Patti, thanks, Gary just told me it was the hottest week ever in Arkansas, so it must be more unusual than it was when we were living there, so sorry you are suffering so much up there. Ugh, keep everything watered early and stay inside. The poor birds and animals that are wild, hope you put some water out for them too.

    ReplyDelete

I love suggestions, questions, critiques, thanks for your comment