Tuesday, January 31, 2012
Gary has been squeezing ruby red grapefruit juice this week. We're taking advantage of this grapefruit grown in the county below us here in Florida. Here's a cup and pitcher set I made a few years ago. I used Windsor Porcelain fired to Cone 10 in reduction. Gary and others have raved about this set, so I'll work on a few sets this week; another item from the back burner.
As I recall I used a cobalt stain on greenware and when the set came out of the bisque it was much too dark and streaky. Folks recommended I scrub it briskly to remove some of the stain. Maybe it was before the bisque. My memory fails me since I'm wondering if scrubbing would remove stain after bisque. I do remembering scrubbing it briskly with a scrub brush dipped in water. I put a clear glaze over the top and it came out looking much better, thank goodness. I like the wavy fronts on the cups, but I don't like how the handle is attached. It's too bulky looking; I think I can improve on that.
In other news I've been contacted by more folks wanting my pottery in their galleries, more about that later. Thanks for reading and for all your comments.