Sunday, July 8, 2012

Stacked Tower with Slots


Here's another stacked tower with slots. It's about eighteen inches tall. I wish I had put the slots all the way to the bottom, next time. I placed the slots randomly around the top third. I'm not sure about the top third now, not sure I like it. Maybe smaller slots. I see the bottom slots line up. I could make one with the slots lining up all the way up from the bottom. Now I'm wondering how I will glaze it with the slots. It's too tall and thin to brush the interior. If I pour the glaze it's going to run out of the slots. Any ideas? This is where the wood firing could come in handy. Maybe just some stain. Maybe I can stain one of these as I'm making it by applying the stain on the inside before I stack another level. Thanks for listening and for all your comments.

8 comments:

  1. Cool tower! I've used wet clay to fill holes while I pour glaze then remove the wet piece and use a brush to fill in glaze where needed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Blue..que lindo!! amei!!

    beijos....

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the way you potters talk.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My first impression when I saw your tower was that it looked like the game Jenga. With your creativity and problem-solving skills, I'm sure you will come up with a solution!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Linda--Nice tower! How about using painter tape on the outside and over the slots? Pour in/out glaze--remove tape. Sometimes I use this method when I dip or spray pots and it works well. I think any method will work...the form itself is very nice just on its own!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Its always nice making a big tall form like that. I like the "wet clay to fill holes" tip from Judy. Great stuff clay!

    ReplyDelete
  7. like others said... I also plug up holes. Sometimes it works great, other time I might have a little drip that might need some clean up.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Judy, thanks, what a good idea, thanks so much for this tip.

    Hi Ma Ferreira, thanks so much.

    Hi Joanne, thanks, hey not sure what you mean. Ha.

    Hi Ms. Sparrow, thanks, ok now I have to find out what Jenga is cause I have no idea.

    Hi Charlene, thanks, oh painters tape another good idea. I use it on greenware but never thought about using it this way.

    Hi Peter, thanks, isn't it cool these blogs; all the potters out there have been so helpful to my clay education.

    Hi Michele, thanks, well I shall see how the tips work, so glad you all give me the best comments.

    ReplyDelete

I love suggestions, questions, critiques, thanks for your comment