Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Baskets and Bark


Somehow I got locked out of my own facebook account while I was on it. If you see anything strange from me, it isn't me. I've got a new password now, hopefully just a glitch. Ha.

Here are two baskets from the latest firing. The rusty character of this first basket really appeals to me. I wish I had glazed quite a few other pieces with this glaze technique. A tiny piece of the handle broke off before the bisque but it doesn't affect the use and is hardly noticeable. Whoa is me, guess this basket will have to be mine.

Here's another basket glazed in the turquoise which seems out of place in a woodland setting, but for Florida or a beach cottage this could be a the perfect accent. I'm still working on how to get these pieces off of the drape mold while they're soft enough to remove but firm enough to stand upright, not an easy task.


While I was outside photographing my pots I couldn't  happen but notice the peeling bark of the river birch we planted last year because I like plants with unusual features.


Just looking at these photos makes me want to go off on another tangent with textures on pots. Inspiration for clay is everywhere. Yesterday a few tornadoes were spawned South of us by the remnants of Isaac and we've gotten some rain squalls but not much wind here thankfully. These tropical storms and hurricanes are much larger than I realized when I see views from a satellite. I hope those up North don't get too flooded. Thanks for reading and for all your comments.

8 comments:

  1. Love the first basket, but entirely agree about the second that it would be perfect in a Florida house, or even a beach house in New England.
    So sad that you have to keep the first one. Life has it's burdens....haha!
    Learned something new today. I thought black birch was the only 'edible' tree! Your river birch is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful glaze on that first one, I really like those colors. That birch bark is gorgeous...when it falls to the ground could you mail me a few pieces? If you have any left after filling that basket with it...you know the basket that you must keep. I think it would look so nice with a few birch bark curls in it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It must feel so good to have found success with these baskets after all your earlier struggles. That first one is my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those baskets are great! My fav is the first...so I hope you keep making something like that...to share. Bark was so inspirational. I just had this nightmare about trees all disappearing, which I posted last night, and it reminded me how very much I love trees. I've never made a basket, so I'm in awe of you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loving these baskets, Linda. Getting things off of drape molds can be tricky.
    Oh, and that bark! I am working on some pieces based on little things I see on my daily walk. If I saw that tree I would probably go off on a tangent, too! I agree with you about clay inspirations!

    ReplyDelete
  6. If I judged by the number of turquoise rugs I tied up and sent out into the world at a recent show with my friend, I'd say turquoise is pretty hot now.

    I love birch trees!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with Joanne. Turquoise is a hot color.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Suzi, thanks, I didn't realize New England would use turquoise in their decor good to know.

    Hi Barbara, thanks, I've done my filing and I can't find your address, can you send me an email with it please.

    Hi Lori, thanks, I am still not where I want to be with these baskets, why do I keep trying, geez.

    Hi Barbara, thanks, I love trees too. I did weaving of trivets and trays in the past and decided to try these one day, they are a real pain in the neck to make and I have more failures than successes. Oh Well.

    Hi Charlene, thanks, when I posted this I was thinking a couple of curls of the bark would make a nice handle on one of your boxes lids, yes all the tangents for clay.

    Hi Joanne, thanks, oh maybe the color is so bright I didn't think anyone would like it but good to know folks are drawn to this color.

    Hi Ms. Sparrow, thanks, another vote for the popularity of turquoise, well makes me feel a bit better about the choice.

    ReplyDelete

I love suggestions, questions, critiques, thanks for your comment