Friday, April 5, 2013

Little White Cottontail

As I sat at the kitchen table making salsa, out of the corner of my eye I saw a blur of movement in the grass. It was a spring rabbit hopping across the back yard. Then he darted behind a tree and I couldn't see him. Then he came out from behind the tree and I hurried to get my camera.

He stayed in one place for quite some time munching on a particular plant in the grass. It must have been real tasty. I was thinking rabbits probably instinctively know which plants are the most nutritious at certain times of the year just like the gopher tortoise do. You can see our lawn is full of various weeds and it's those which I think are the most nutritious for the creatures living here.

At one point the rabbit turned to face away from me and I got to see his little white cottontail. Unfortunately my camera battery died and I didn't get a photo of his cottontail. One of these days I'll invest in a better camera which has a telephoto and I'll be able to get better quality photos to show you. Thanks for reading and for all your comments.

15 comments:

  1. Your photos are quite good, Linda! I thought you were looking beyond your garden to the field. Is your garden as big as prairie? : ) How lovely to have a bunny in your garden! But I hope he doesn't munch on your veg! : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Midori, thanks, my vegetables are in raised concrete bins so he doesn't get up there. we have about 3/4 of an acre of lawn and the other 1/4 acre is trees and then wed are surrounded by forest on three sides. He lives in the forest and comes out to graze on the grass. I have taken the photos through the window. If I blow them up they are quite digital looking, wish the long distance photos were clearer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good Morning, Linda, I just love watching the rabbit sin my yard ... so does Buddy, from a safe distance. RE: my new poetry blog: blogger wouldn't show the text for a while this morning. They've corrected it. Thanks so much for visiting it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always like to see bunnies in the yard....yours looks content!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Raised beds keep that bunny looking adorable and not at all like a pest.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like the Easter Bunny vacations in Florida after all the deliveries are made.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your bunny looks happy and does have good sense of where to find his breakfast. Did you know his cousin lives in my yard? Also difficult to get pictures through windows.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I mostly see the cottontails at night when they come out and hop around in the wooded lot.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the bunny! Your photos are always good. It is hard to do through the window though. I took the screens off my windows by the birdfeeder, but sometimes the slightest movement startles them and they fly away. There is a beautiful Bluejay that just won't let me get his photo!

    ReplyDelete
  10. so cute! i haven't seen our bunnies yet this year.

    ReplyDelete
  11. thanks everyone, I haven't seen his friend, I hope he isn't too lonely.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I do love bunnies - and it is years since I have seen a wild one. Thank you so much.

    ReplyDelete
  13. isn't he sweet. I love them too, I think they are easy game for so many predators, fox, eagle, hawk and the like

    ReplyDelete
  14. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

I love suggestions, questions, critiques, thanks for your comment