Sunday, June 29, 2014

Luna Moth and a Box Turtle

I feel like I'm living in a rain forest we've had so much rain. We just had a tremendous downpour and now I can hear the frogs and toads singing in the woods. Sometimes it's raining on one side of our house and not the other. A couple of my fruit trees aren't doing so well. I think it's due to too much rain.

One of my blogging friends, Ronna, saw a luna moth on her barn and I was inspired to make this luna moth platter which is about fifteen by nine inches. I might paint in a vine linking the three flowers. The luna moth only lives one week and has no mouth; it lives only to mate.

Yesterday Gary was weed whipping and saw this Eastern Box Turtle hiding in the tall grass. The turtle got scared and wouldn't peek his head out. I grew tired of waiting and thought I'd go back later. Of course he was gone. Thanks for reading and for all your comments.

11 comments:

  1. Love your Luna Moth plate. And the real deal - and the turtle - who obviously moved fast.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great luna moth plate, and so happy to see the turtle. I'm not out wherever they live any more. I've moved several from roads in my lifetime. Call me a turtle godmother!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Elephant's Child, thanks, aren't the moths beautiful and they only live one week.

    Hi Barb, thanks, we're both turtle godmothers. ha.

    ReplyDelete
  4. An eastern box turtle!! I was just telling my fiancee the other day that I had a pet turtle as a child, and I am now realizing that it was an eastern box turtle :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wish you could send us some rain. We haven't had any in what seems like weeks.
    Luna moths are so beautiful, can't wait to see your platter finished.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Keith, thanks, the story about the turtle and the rabbit is true they are definitely faster than we think.

    Hi Michele, thanks, it rained again this morning, I think the mountains here trap the clouds and make them pour out the rain.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice platter, I would suggest linking the flowers with a vine, that sounds like it would be a good way to direct the viewer's eye.

    Janet has a luna moth tattoo she likes them so much.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Lori, thanks, good advice, I'll have to ask about her tattoo next time I see her.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the luna moth platter. Also love that turtle. Have never seen one like that before...happy summer!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Ronna, thanks, no I haven't seen one of these turtles here but I did see some when we lived in Arkansas.

    ReplyDelete

I love suggestions, questions, critiques, thanks for your comment