Friday, June 27, 2014

Sourwood Mountain

We made it back safely and today we're recuperating from the long drive. This morning I looked out and saw this tree is blooming. I think it's sourwood. I knew about sourwood honey but I also learned the flowers can be squeezed for sourwood jelly. I never knew so many native deciduous trees have such beautiful blossoms.

Last night I made another red flower bowl, about 11 inches in diameter and 2 inches tall. The two small folds on one side of the bowl wanted to be there so I let them stay. I've found in using these bowls with folds near the edge a spoon in the bowl is less likely to slide down into the food.

Here's a cypress grove swamp platter I made. It's about 15 x 9 inches. I didn't like the upper part of the trees so I wiped them off and tried again.

I'm still not sure I like the green but I think it's too late to revise it. I think greens are the hardest color to get right. I've actually used three greens and one chartreuse, we shall see. We were going to go to the Trash and Treasures sale today but were too tired to load up, next week. 

Here's Sourwood Mountain with Shad Cobb and Charlie Cushman. Hope you have good weekend. Thanks for reading and for all your comments.

6 comments:

  1. Love that bowl, and its built in spoon rests are brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, Linda, I like your comment about the small folds wanting to be there, so you let them stay. Besides, I always figure that you don't want it to be perfect or it would look store made. And also love the music. Reminds me a lot of Cajun music back home in Louisiana. Fiddles are great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That fiddle is outstanding, and so is the banjo. Beyond pickin'.
    I've always had a soft spot for mountain names. White Rag mountain. Mountain Top. That was stupid, just a mountain in Maryland with a top.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aren't sourwood trees great in bloom! Wait till you see their scarlet phase in the fall.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's pretty bad when my own comments on my own blog get lost.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Elephant's Child, thanks, the clay does what it wants sometimes that's a good thing.

    Hi Rian, thanks, I used to fight the clay but not any longer.

    Hi Joanne, thanks, I searched for a well done rendition of this song and this one topped them all.

    Hi Barbara, thanks, can't wait for fall.

    ReplyDelete

I love suggestions, questions, critiques, thanks for your comment