Thursday, August 28, 2014

Next Firing, Very Good, Except

Yesterday I unloaded the second glaze firing. Look at this experimental glazing I did. Wow, I love it. I wouldn't mind making a whole set of dinner plates for myself with this glaze which I love looking at.

I glazed this serving bowl with one glaze and let it dry. Then I experimented by dabbing dots all over the interior with another glaze.

Except, why is there always an exception, can you see the tiny stress crack on the rim. Well at least I know how to re-create this glaze pattern, I hope.

Here's a dark green serving platter. I've used this river pattern across my platters before. This one came out a little darker than I expected but it's still nice. The green is kind of a dark Christmas green color. I really need to set up my photo cube but I have some deadlines to make so I'll get to that later.

Here's a large (about nine by nine inches) layered pot with a clear satin glaze overlapping the engobe colors I used. I think I like the lighter engobe colors on these type of pots. The shape is pleasing though.

Before firing I vacuumed the whole kiln including the lid and all the shelves and the grit in the glaze didn't return. So all the rest of the clear glazed pieces did fine in this firing. When I unloaded the pots were hot so I set them on wood boards so they wouldn't be sitting on a cold table.

Yesterday we had the last fish from Florida, catfish with steamed yellow swiss chard and sweet potato, the latter two from the farmer's market. I coat the catfish with egg and then dredge it in rough cornmeal and fry it in olive oil.

This morning I am having sweet tea again. I sweetened the tea with stevia which is 300 times sweeter than sugar. One little squirt of liquid stevia in my glass of cold tea is plenty. I had always wanted to try stevia and this morning I did. By using stevia I can have sweet tea without all the sugar or corn syrup. I have another glaze load cooling down today. It's all clear glazed so hope all goes well with it. I am just about caught up now. Thanks for reading and for all your comments.

12 comments:

  1. Looking good - and I love that experimental glaze.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sue, thanks, I can't wait to try that one again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your new glaze combo is definitely a keeper. Reminds me of a peacock.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great looking platters, and that experimental glaze is so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Michele, thanks, yes a peacock or almost like an animal print, perhaps I'll try more of these overlapping combos.

    Hi Barb, thanks, oh I wish I had some plain pots right now so I could try the glaze combo again. Back to work.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful photos! Love that catfish too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Gigi, thanks, oh you'd love that catfish it is easy to make, I forgot to say I put salt, pepper, cayenne, and oregano in the cornmeal before I dredge it. Yummy..

    ReplyDelete
  8. The experimental glaze is fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Lori, thanks I can't wait to make some more pieces to try it out and experiment with others as well.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looking glaze delicious--including the catfish!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful pieces. Can tell you are enjoying yourself with your new kiln.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Charlene, thanks, oh we do enjoy all our Florida fish that's for sure, catfish is often maligned but it is so good.

    Hi Barbara, thanks, oh thoroughly for sure.

    ReplyDelete

I love suggestions, questions, critiques, thanks for your comment