Monday, March 30, 2015

Bells, Bells, and More Bells

Somehow I managed to make six bells this afternoon. The tall thin bell is an experiment to see how it sounds after I get it fired and put together. Well actually they are all experiments come to think of it. The beads on top will be separated by knots in the rope they are strung on. I balanced the beads on top just to show you. I might brush different colors of stains on the beads before firing. Maybe some of the bells too. They almost looks like a group of people with hats don't they? Ha. I plan to make more bells with the speckled stoneware and some really red terracotta colored clay I got in Charlotte last year.  

Last year I didn't know about signing up for the local farmer's market till it was too late. This year I signed up in time but I still didn't get in because so many folks are returning. Also previous and new produce vendors take precedence over artisans. I'm number one on the waiting list. Maybe someone will cancel; I hope so. The farmer's market starts in June. If I don't get an assigned spot, I am able to show up and take a chance on the few spots they keep open for drive ups. But I'd have to get there at 4:30 am, wait in line till 6 am, and then find out if I got a spot. Ugh. I hope I don't have to do that. If I get an assigned spot I could just get there at about 6 am and set up. Plus having an assigned spot lets folks know consistently where I'll be each time.

The farmer's market has so many more attendees than the trash to treasures market on Fridays which starts in April. I really need to sell as much pottery as I can to pay off my medical bills. Plus I need to go to the dentist and eye doctor. I plan to re-open my etsy shop as soon as I build more inventory. My hurt shoulder, then my knee injury, then my fall really put me behind with all the plans I had for this year. Please keep your fingers crossed for the farmer's market. Thanks for reading and for all your comments. 

11 comments:

  1. A weekly market is a big job, but nice small but steady income source, just not a lot for me, Moving pots to and from market is not easy. But there's a whole world of market vendors and regular customers that is fun to get involved inl Good wishes that you get in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Barb, thanks, our market is so convenient since it is covered so no tent set up, Gary helps me move the pots, so that helps, and it's less than 5 miles from my home and there is electricity if we need it, I figure every little bit helps.

      Delete
  2. Yes, the best of luck getting a place in the market. Fingers crossed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Joanne, thanks, right before it begins I'll give them a call or stop in to see where I stand, thanks.

      Delete
  3. Fingers and toes crossed on the market front.
    And a greedy request. When your bells are finished, I would really, really like a video - so I could hear their chimes...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Sue, thanks, I was thinking of that very same thing, hopefully I can figure out how to make a video, it would be a great sales tool as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The thought of having to be up, never mind being anywhere, at 4:30 am just doesn't appeal to me anymore! I did it for 20 years when I was an early childhood educator. At least your market will be an easy set up.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Michele, thanks, yeah I used to get up early to commute to work but I am still an early riser, but not usually 4:30 am, 6 am sounds ok but not waiting from 4:30 to 6 am just to find out if I have a spot. Hopefully I'll get an assigned spot.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know the knobs will be separated by ropes when you hang them, but right now the way they are stacked looks like mini-cairns to me and I like it.
    Fingers crossed that you get a spot at the Market. Also a great idea to make a video of the bells ringing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Barbara, thanks, someone on fb said the same thing and suggested I make some sculpture with those and stacked rocks in mind so I am planning on doing that, they look like people to me and I love exploring structures that have several meanings to different eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Barbara, thanks, someone on fb said the same thing and suggested I make some sculpture with those and stacked rocks in mind so I am planning on doing that, they look like people to me and I love exploring structures that have several meanings to different eyes.

    ReplyDelete

I love suggestions, questions, critiques, thanks for your comment