Monday, May 18, 2015

Gray Tree Frog Serenades Me

For the last two days I've been serenaded by a tree frog on my front porch but I couldn't seem to find him. Finally I noticed this gray tree frog, hyla versicolor, hiding on the ledge of the eave. I had to stand on a stool and use the flash to get a good photo. He has his eyes closed more than he normally would probably due to the flash. He's about two inches long.


He makes up for his small size with quite loud call. I don't mind; I feel like I'm living in a jungle tree house. Here's a video of what his call sounds like. Just as I was about to shut down my computer last night I glanced out to see if the frog was still there. I didn't see him.

I ran outside and saw the frog was hopping down the ledge. I ran for my camera to take more photos. Notice the underside of his leg is brightly colored, that's to scare predators.

Look at the pads on his toes, no wonder he can climb so well.

Then he hopped down on the deck. He looks much smaller when he isn't resting on the ledge of the eave. Good bye little frog and good night. Thanks for reading and for all your comments.

15 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Hi Barbara, thanks, so many creatures to enthrall me.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Hi Joanne, thanks, I can't believe how loud such a little guy is.

      Delete
  3. I love the sounds of nature at night. Glad this little guy is serenading you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lori, thanks, his song is bitter sweet as I am really missing Butter.

      Delete
  4. Lucky you. Lucy won't allow any wildlife in the yard, no matter how many St Frances of Assisi I put in the yard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Turquoisemoon, thanks, cats seem to be more tolerant of all of the other critters. If only is was the reverse.

      Delete
  5. How lucky. It is a very long time since I have heard a frog. Wonderful critters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sue, thanks, they keep on singing all around me.

      Delete
  6. We love frogs, turtles, and all the little critters that live around us. Thanks for sharing the pics and his wonderful song.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rian, thanks, I love them all but am really missing poor little Butter boy.

      Delete
  7. What a beautiful little fellow. I love frogs. I have one similar to him who lives in my bathroom. The one here is called a "Bleating Tree Frog"; I christened him "Hieronymus" - after Hieronymus Bosch; and also after the detective in the Michael Connelly crime novels. :)

    There's nothing wrong with me...just ask me...:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've only just now read (and responded) to your post re Butter. I do so home Butter returns soon, Linda. Don't give up hope....

      Delete
    2. No sign of him, I am afraid he's gone to kitty heaven

      Delete

I love suggestions, questions, critiques, thanks for your comment