Wednesday, May 27, 2015

Red Potato Salad with Fresh Dill

For the Memorial Day party I made red potato salad with fresh dill. Fresh dill really adds to the flavor. If you don't have fresh dill you may use dried. I used new red potatoes and I left the skins on which helps hold the potatoes together. I cut the potatoes into bite sized pieces before I boiled them. I find the cut potatoes cook more evenly and tend not to fall apart as much. I boiled them for less than ten minutes (don't over cook) drained them and immediately put them in an ice water bath to keep them from cooking any further and getting mushy. Once the potatoes are cool drain them out of the ice water.

Before I cooked the potatoes I hard boiled four eggs and chopped them medium fine. I chopped one cup celery, one red bell pepper, a small bunch of green onions and of course the fresh dill (about 1/8 cup loosely packed). When the potatoes are cold gently toss them with these ingredients and set aside.

For the dressing I used 3/4 cup sour cream and 1/4  cup mayonnaise to which I added two tablespoons grey poupon mustard, a tablespoon each of white balsamic vinegar and sugar, 1/2 teaspoon of cayenne pepper, and salt and pepper to taste. Mix the dressing in a separate bowl and then gently fold into the potato mixture. You may have to adjust the amounts for the dressing because I made an extra large amount of potatoes for the party. It takes about an hour and a half to prepare this salad. Refrigerate the salad for at least three hours or over night before serving. The morel mushroom cheese board has nothing to do with the salad. I just wanted to show you the redo. The one I made previously had a crack at the edge. Thanks for reading and for all your comments.

15 comments:

  1. What a great sounding potato salad. And big cheers for the successful morel mushroom cheese plate. It's gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Barbara, thanks, sometimes I fail do do redo's but this time I didn't ha.

      Delete
  2. Sounds wonderful. New red potatoes are lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Joanne, thanks, I like the red or gold potatoes much better than russets, for some reason the russets seem too bland to me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fresh dill is delicious, we just used some from our garden last night.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lori, thanks, I planted some but the bugs ate it but now it's coming back up from the roots, thank goodness

      Delete
  5. I am not a big mayo fan so I much prefer a potato salad with sour cream based dressing. Yours sound delicious.
    Glad you had a cheese board make it through the firing. Did you do anything different this time to eliminate the cracking?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Michele, thanks, I don't like very much mayonnaise either; , the last one was a bit thicker than this one because the other one I made I noticed it was thinner so I redid this one just a bit thinner and also folks advised me not to use a sponge on the edge of the board but smooth with my finger so i did that as well. Every little tip helps, got to get in the habit of all the good tips.

      Delete
  6. I have gotten quite hungry reading your post! We just happen to have purchased red potatoes yesterday - now I know what to do with them! Just wish I had such a pretty plate to put the salad on!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Studio Khnoum, thanks, I bet you can come up with a nice plate from your cupboard.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The salad sounds good - and the cheese plate looks EXCELLENT.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sue, thanks, spring is being kind to me.

      Delete
  9. I never peel potatoes. Actually, the only vegetables I peel are onions. It all looks great. And I do love the red-skin spuds.. .let's face it, there's nothing much I don't love...vegetable-wise, anyway. :)

    And I do love your cheese plate, Linda. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lee, thanks, ever since I read that the peelings have the vitamins I haven't peeled veges either. Glad my board didn't crack this time.

      Delete
  10. Your ceramics are lovely! And that potato salad recipe is making me hungry! YUM!

    ReplyDelete

I love suggestions, questions, critiques, thanks for your comment