Sunday, July 5, 2015

Black Krim and Mourning Dove

The other day I had my first home grown tomato, a Black Krim. On the outside they look red but when you cut them open you can see the dark color in the flesh and seeds.

These are the first three tomatoes I picked. The flesh is splitting due to all the rain but it heals up and they are still edible. One is Cherokee purple, and the other is Black Krim. The yellow tomato I think it's Lemon Boy isn't that flavorful to my taste buds. The Cherokee purples and the black Krim are much better. I've found two horn worms so far and picked them off. I don't know how they find the tomatoes but they do.

 At the farmer's market this week I got these pattypan squash.

 I also got all of these shallots for three dollars. They'll last me a good long while.

We've become addicted to the white half runner beans. I cook them with onion, garlic and fresh tomatoes. They are so delicious. Even though I have to string and snap them the flavor is worth the trouble.

As we were sitting on the deck yesterday Gary spied this bird in the grass. He went down to take a photo and saw it was a mourning dove. I think it was taking advantage of the little bit of sun we had briefly. Hope you have a relaxing fourth of July. Thanks for reading and for all your comments.

16 comments:

  1. I have never tasted that type of tomato, but they look nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Gigi, thanks, I like growing the ones you can't get at the grocery story as many of them are so much more flavorful.

      Delete
  2. We grew a 'black' tomato last year. I can't remember the name but it was delicious! Those are the most colorful pattypans I have ever seen!
    Belated wishes for a happy Fourth of July!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Suzi, thanks, there is a black prince that is actually blacker than this one, that might be it. Check out Bonnie Farms website they have a great selection and really good descriptions of all the plants they supply.

      Delete
  3. Enjoy your own produce, its always so good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Barb, thanks, so sorry they are all split, nothing I can do about mother nature though.

      Delete
  4. We grow 'black russians' which are delicious. The stores have kumatoes which are also black and have more flavour than the red ones. Home grown trumps in taste though - every time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sue, thanks, our grocery has the kumatoes as well.

      Delete
  5. Your tomatoes are beautiful, Linda. I don't know much about tomatoes, only that the ones we had in New Orleans growing up (Creole tomatoes) seemed so much more flavorful than the ones we get now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rian, thanks, I never heard of creole tomatoes, must look those up.

      Delete
  6. My mom had a neighbor who brought over a variety of heirloom tomatoes. Amazing flavor!
    Thanks for stopping by my site!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Susan, thanks, yes the heirlooms are worth the trouble they are to grow for sure.

      Delete
  7. Home grown tomatoes have a taste of their own...delicious! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lee, thanks yes they do, nothing better.

      Delete
  8. Lemon Boy is not that flavourful, but they look so darn wonderful on a handmade plate, it is worth it to me. I like the Apricot tomatoes too, have you tried those yet? we are still a month away from tomatoes unless I go for Green Fried. Eat your veggies and keep healthy, love your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Nancy, thanks, yes I love the different colors of the tomatoes, will have to try a different yellow next time. I haven't tried the apricot tomato, will look for that one. I am going to make fried green tomatoes this year I keep telling myself that but never seem to do it, glad you reminded me. Ha.

    ReplyDelete

I love suggestions, questions, critiques, thanks for your comment