Friday, October 30, 2015

Fall Colors, a Bisque, an Opossum

I had planned to take more close up photos of the fall colors yesterday to show you but it was rainy and foggy most of the day. I can't complain, though, because this has been such a nice long autumn and no hard freezes yet. So I decided to spend my time loading a bisque.

I unloaded the kiln of the tall pots and loaded a bisque with leaf plates and ornaments. I plan to use the pieces in this bisque to practice some glaze experiments before I glaze the big tall pots. Plus I am waiting on a shipment of some supplies to be sure I have enough glaze to glaze all the big tall pots. While the bisque is firing today I hope to try again to get a group shot of the tall pots with my new camera. We shall see what I come up with for that idea.

I stacked a couple of ornaments on a couple of leaf plates. Normally I don't stack ware because I've had pieces crack in the past, but the ornaments are light weight. Hopefully this won't be a problem.

Oh guess what? I went to pick my three pears yesterday and something ate them. All three are completely gone and no evidence left, not even seeds. Wonder what critter ate them? Perhaps it was deer, maybe a bear. They were too high for a raccoon. I did see the opossum last night. Could he be the culprit? I think they can climb. Thanks for reading and for all your comments.

10 comments:

  1. My money is on th possum. I do like your cold and frosty picture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Joanne, thanks, well he must be a well fed possum then. Ha.

      Delete
  2. We stack bisque ware all the time, especially ornaments and beads. They go inside of any pot, bowl, plate. The best way to prevent cracking is stacking things rim to rim or foot to foot, so long as they are the same size.
    My vote is with the possum as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Michele, thanks, most of my work isn't uniform so hence the hesitancy to stack, we shall see.

      Delete
  3. Possums are sneaky creatures. Sorry the pears went his way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Susan, thanks, that possum comes by here regularly, almost like a pet. He must have known just when they were ripe, just like me. Ha.

      Delete
  4. Cute possum.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Gigi, thanks, they are quite cute to see so close up.

      Delete
  5. If your opossum is anything like our possums the pears were a truly delightfutl snack for him/her.
    Good luck with the firing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Elephant's Child, thanks, that possum is well fed around here. Ha.

      Delete

I love suggestions, questions, critiques, thanks for your comment