Thursday, January 28, 2016

Bathroom Sink Back Splash

Remember some time ago we were remodeling our guest bathroom? Well I finally got around to getting the guest bathroom sink back splash completed. There is also a new paint color on the walls.

Here's what the sink looked like before the back splash. The old sink was glued to the wall and the wall was in terrible shape. I decided to cover it with a back splash. Originally I was going to make a clay back splash but never got around to making it. The other day I saw these mini marble tiles in a sheet and decided to use those.

I also learned there's tile adhesive on a roll which can be applied to the wall and the tiles pressed up against them. This rolled adhesive is used instead of thin-set or mastic and makes installation a breeze. These tiles don't need a grout since they are so close together. Watch a video about about the rolled adhesive or double backed tape right here. Thanks for reading and for all your comments.

12 comments:

  1. Good job! I also like your pretty floor tile.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Gigi, thanks, did those quite some time ago and finally got the room painted this week and the back splash installed, on to finish a few more neglected projects, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to finish stripping wallpaper and then paint our master bath, perhaps you will inspire me to complete the project!
    Your bathroom looks great. The tile was an easy fix for the wall damage. Since there is no grout, I might be concerned that water splashes will eventually get in between the tile and cause them to come off of the adhesive. But I don't know anything about that adhesive... only mastic application. My ex husband was a masonry and tile contractor; I was his laborer from time to time (ugh).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Michele, thanks, we have extra adhesive but I think this stuff is extra heavy duty. I hate stripping wall paper. I also keep saying the next place I move I'll paint and remodel before I move in but never seem to get that done, so tired of fixing and remodeling stuff. There is little room between those tile and I could put some grout or maybe a sealer don't think I'll need it though. Painting takes so long and up and down the ladder since I am not very tall.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I watched the video, it looks like it would be easy enough to replace if you have to... which hopefully will be many years from now.
      We did only what was absolutely necessary to this house before moving in. It would be great to have the money and time to do it all before moving.

      Delete
    2. definitely a money thing for sure

      Delete
  5. That rolled adhesive sounds interesting. I think I'll look into it. I made some clay tiles for our bathroom... just to line up where the sink meets the wallpaper on 2 sides... but wasn't sure how to attach tile. Thanks for the info.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rian, thanks, click the link and watch the video, so easy anyone can do it and the top and bottom we applied caulk to seal the edges, I am so glad I did a search because I was dreading applying the mastic/thin set on the wall and had visions of it falling all over the place. Then you must tape the tiles in place till the mastic dries and carefully remove the tape, this way no waiting you can grout if you need to right away.

      Delete
  6. It looks inviting and attractive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Joanne, thanks, I am so glad I finally got around to completing this project, much better view from the hallway that's for sure.

      Delete
  7. You've been a busy DIY girl! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Lee, thanks, finally finishing up on some long awaited projects. Ha.

    ReplyDelete

I love suggestions, questions, critiques, thanks for your comment