Tuesday, January 10, 2017

Cream of Celery Soup

We've been cooped up in our house since it snowed. We got about 9 inches of snow but it was so cold even during the day the snow didn't melt. Finally this afternoon it melted off the driveway. We are lucky we live on hill which faces south so our snow melts sooner than other locations do. With all this cold weather, I decided to make some cream of celery soup. I didn't use any cream though. The photo doesn't show the green color well but it is nice pale green.

Saute one yellow onion chopped fine in some olive oil. Next chop fine a small head of celery. Add to the sauteed onions and cover and let steam to soften. Add 8 cups of water and spices of your choice. I used thyme, basil, parsley, sage, ground bay, salt and pepper. Simmer for an hour or so till celery softens, add two potatoes chopped fine. When potatoes are softened, remove from heat and let soup cool a while. When cool enough add mixture to blender and whirl till smooth. Reheat if necessary to serve.

You know I love to learn new things. I guess I'm a knowledge junkie. Celery leaves were found in the tomb of the pharaoh Tutankhamen. Celery seed compounds and celery juice can lower blood pressure. Celery seed essential oil is used in perfumes. I read this information in this link for celery. I also learned celery contains potassium, magnesium, calcium, phosphorus, iron, sodium and many other vitamins.  Thanks for reading and for all your comments.

4 comments:

  1. I love celery, too, and always buy a bunch every week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's far too hot here for hot soup, but this soup would nice served chilled, too. Not that I'm cooking anything until the temps drop...salad it is for me...and fresh fruit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Like Lee it is too hot for soup here...
    Congratulations on your listing on the Clay Blog 2016 Review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope you're okay up your way, Linda...you've been pretty quiet! Take care.

    ReplyDelete

I love suggestions, questions, critiques, thanks for your comment