Wednesday, September 20, 2017

Lima Beans are Good for your Heart

For years I've said I despise lima beans; they're always so dry and tasteless. Since I'm a person willing to try just about any new food or recipe, when I saw fresh speckled lima beans at the farmer's market this past Saturday I decided to take a risk on them. Lima beans are often called butter beans, I think because everyone assumes lima beans are terrible and butter beans sounds so much better.

To enhance their flavor I smoked two turkey thighs with hickory chips (in my Anuka smoker, so thankful I found this one at an estate sale in Florida). After smoking I cut the meat off the bone and into small pieces. I sauteed half an onion till translucent and added the smoked turkey meat to cook the rest of the way. Then I added the fresh lima beans and two cups of water and two tablespoons of butter. I added fresh thyme and oregano from my garden, and a pinch of cloves and dash of paprika, two tablespoons of brown sugar, a sprinkling of balsamic vinegar and worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper. I cooked the beans for about an hour.

The cooked lima beans turned a silky brown color and were delicious. Unfortunately I forgot to take a photo of the finished beans because we were too busy eating them. Ha. If they have lima beans again this coming Saturday I'll get them again. I am sure fresh lima beans make all the difference in their taste. I read lima beans are good to lower cholesterol, good for the heart and good for diabetics. Thanks for reading and for all your comments.

11 comments:

  1. Linda, I love lima beans... always have... both the baby limas and the giant ones. I'm sure your lima recipe was delicious. I think mama used to put bacon in hers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rian, thanks, you might know that everyone would say they love limas. ha.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Hi Joanne, thanks, guess I've been missing out all these years. ha.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Hi Sue, thanks, another lover of limas. ha.

      Delete
  4. I've always loved lima beans...ever since I was a kid. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lee, thanks, I think I had canned limas maybe that's why I didn't like them as a kid.

      Delete
  5. Yummy and very creative. Laura says "what time's dinner!" :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Peter, thanks you are both welcome any time, always have a pot of something on the stove here and enough to feed many, yesterday gave my neighbor a whole extra pot of squash soup which tasted like pumpkin pie.

      Delete
  6. you make them sound very tasty...

    ReplyDelete

I love suggestions, questions, critiques, thanks for your comment