Saturday, October 14, 2017

Death of a Groundhog

We had a pretty good day today then on the way home tragedy struck. Our neighborhood groundhog was hit by a car. I've seen him occasionally driving by our neighbor's yard peering at me or sitting in the road sunning himself. Next week is supposed to turn colder and I am sure he would have stayed in his den, but the cold just didn't come soon enough.

Unfortunately he had a habit of crossing the road at the crest of a hill unseen by cars coming up the  lane. As we crested the hill, he lay motionless in the middle of the road. I wasn't sure anyone else besides Gary and I would mourn his demise but Gary talked to our neighbor and he knew about him sitting in the road. I feel so very very sad this evening. I love all the critters living here and it affects me greatly at their loss. I only hope there are some youngsters to take his place. Thanks for reading and for all your comments.

10 comments:

  1. I am sorry. Our furry friends (even the wild ones) do become family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, that is sad...very sad, and I completely understand your feelings. I empathise, Linda.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lee, thanks, he seemed such a gentle creature.

      Delete
  3. So sorry to hear about the groundhog. When one of our backyard or frontyard critters stop coming, we always wonder what happened... but at least then we can tell ourselves that they just moved on. But I hate it when I see one has been hit. I hope you are right and there are some groundhog youngsters around to continue his/her legacy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rian, thanks, I don't know which is worse knowing what happens or no knowing.

      Delete
  4. So glad you had photos of some of your furry friend's visits. Sad that he/she has gone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Barbara, thanks, I can't take credit for these I got them from wikipedia.

      Delete
  5. I completely understand, Linda. I have mourned several meadow friends. We get used to seeing them and they enrich our lives. It's so hard to see them gone. I'm sorry for your loss ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Teresa, thanks, somehow I knew you'd "feel" the same way. The next day I drove by the spot where he was and he was gone and there wasn't even a spot on the road and I could help but hope that he was just knocked out and he got up later and ran into the woods. Maybe he was meal for another critter; I'll never know but I am glad he didn't lie there long.

      Delete

I love suggestions, questions, critiques, thanks for your comment