Tuesday, October 24, 2017

Nine Plates a Day

Yesterday I set the few pieces which weren't completely dry in the solarium in the sun to dry. I hope they were dry enough. I'll find out later today. Then I loaded the kiln. Since the rain storm flew by after dropping 2.5 inches of rain, I decided to take advantage and fire the kiln. It finished at 12:45 am. I plugged the peep and went to bed.

While the kiln was firing yesterday I made nine plates. One is drying on another shelf.  The slabs must firm up just so before I can form them with the pounce or push method. After forming I use my bisque stamps to impress the deco. I plan to make nine more today. I am actually looking forward to glazing a whole kiln load of plates. It will seem like a breeze compared to a kiln load of smaller and miscellaneous items.

After today's making I'll have all the cutoffs to use up. I plan to try another type of sponge holder. We shall see if it turns out. I can actually kick it into high gear (kick it in the proverbial 'you-know-what') when I have to. Ha. Thanks for reading and for all your comments.

4 comments:

  1. Your plates look as if they are drying on wallboard with duct tape around it's edges...very similar to what we have in our studio. If not, it still looks about the same, and keeps things flat pretty well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Barbara, thanks, yes wallboard and painter's tape which has actually held up rather well since these are maybe six years old. I have some more I made but have yet to bring them in from out on the porch. I find that drying them on wallboard plus on a open weave shelf really helps.

      Delete
  2. Good luck.
    How did the butter dishes turn out?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sue, thanks, they turned out great, now to glaze them to see how they do in the glaze firing, the handles Joanne said were not needed, she was correct.

      Delete

I love suggestions, questions, critiques, thanks for your comment