Sunday, October 22, 2017

Pepitas at Big Lots

A week or so ago I stopped at Big Lots but hesitated to purchase any food items because I've always thought they carry outdated items. Much to my chagrin all of the items I picked up were not outdated. In fact their sell-by-date was many months into the future. I saw a small container of Pepitas (shelled pumpkin seeds) and decided to give them a try. I like to include nuts and seeds in my diet because of their health benefits.

I've never had pepitas before and found them quite delicious. If you click source above it takes you to a link on recipes preparing pepitas. The pepitas I purchased were already roasted and salted. I'd like to find them without salt some time. I ate them as a snack but I think they'd also be good tossed in a salad or as a topping for a casserole or maybe fish even added to bread. Pepitas or shelled pumpkin seeds provide much nutritional value.

One ounce contains:


  • Fiber: 1.7 grams.
  • Carbs: 5 grams.
  • Protein: 7 grams.
  • Fat: 13 grams (6 of which are omega-6s).
  • Vitamin K: 18% of the RDI
  • Phosphorous: 33% of the RDI
  • Manganese: 42% of the RDI
  • Magnesium: 37% of the RDI
  • Iron: 23% of the RDI
  • Zinc: 14% of the RDI
  • Copper: 19% of the RDI
  • Seeds also contain lots of antioxidants and a decent amount of polyunsaturated fatty acids, potassium, vitamin B2 (riboflavin) and folate.

    Other items I picked up were a few spices, canned seafood and some condiments, all at reduced prices. It doesn't hurt to save money. Thanks for reading and for all your comments.

    6 comments:

    1. They do sound good, in this season when everything is pumpkin flavored. At least the seeds don't taste like pumpkins, that I remember. I've only roasted and salted the ones dug out of jack-o-lanterns, so these look so much easier!

      ReplyDelete
    2. Hi Barbara, thanks, apparently only certain varieties of pumpkins have the seeds that can be shelled from the larger portion. Just as easy to purchase them already shelled. I can't believe how many nutrients and vitamins are in them; every little bit helps to keep us healthy I think.

      ReplyDelete
    3. I really like them. And find them an addictive snack.

      ReplyDelete
    4. Hi Sue, thanks, I found them very addictive as well, lol.

      ReplyDelete
    5. I love pumpkins seeds (as they are mostly called here). When I had my greengrocery/healthfood store back in the 80s I sold them, along with other delicious goodies. I had large jars filled with many such healthy offerings.

      I love all seeds, and I love nuts. I always have a huge jar of raw mixed nuts on hand; and every day they're part of my fare.

      ReplyDelete
    6. Hi Lee, thanks you sound like you eat just like me; I try to eat all the items that have the most amount of vitamins, They are called pumpkin seeds here but they are the larger seeds, these apparently are the inside of the larger seeds and only come from certain pumpkins.

      ReplyDelete

    I love suggestions, questions, critiques, thanks for your comment