Sunday, January 7, 2018

Homemade Hashbrowns

Every so often I run out of breakfast items. No avocados, no eggs, no fruit; and I must be gluten free. On those days we sometimes go to our local greasy spoon restaurant for breakfast. But wait a minute, I had some potatoes in the crisper. I decided to try making homemade hash browns. Oh my goodness, why haven't I tried making these sooner.

Grate three small potatoes with a hand grater. Pat the grated potatoes dry on paper towels. Melt some butter in a non stick ceramic frying pan, add the potatoes, season with salt, pepper, and dried or fresh chives. Cook till browned. It took about ten minutes to make the hash browns. Oh so delicious. Thanks for reading and for all your comments.

13 comments:

  1. I love using already boiled potatoes to make hash browns. They sure are good! Yours sound delicious, I'm drooling!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Barbara, thanks, I used the potatoes fresh with out boiling them and they came out just fine.

      Delete
  2. I like cooked potato hash browns, too. But, you do with what you have. Looks good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Joanne, thanks, first time I've ever made them, yummy.

      Delete
  3. I love potatoes, but have never been a hash brown lover (usually order grits when given the choice). But perhaps I should try home-made ones!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rian, thanks, I usually only have them at a restaurant. Now I need to learn how to make grits, we shall see.

      Delete
  4. Yum. I am not a breakfast eater, but that could tempt me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sue, thanks, these are good for a snack too. lol

      Delete
  5. Yum, definitely, Yum! I will try making those in the next day or two. I'm cooking something at the moment, I'm roasting some chicken, potatoes and red peppers. I hope to stuff the red peppers with small bits of the chicken and a little bacon! Probably some sunflower seeds will find their way into the mix somewhere, I like adding them to things if I can!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Peter, thanks, I add sunflower seeds to salads, and once I did a pasta salad with sunflower seeds, it's on my recipe page.

      Delete
  6. I never have breakfast...perhaps I should, but lunch is my main meal of the day. If I had breakfast...I wouldn't feel like any lunch, no doubt.

    Fruit and raw nuts are my go-to in the evenings. I've not cooked an evening meals in years, now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lee, thanks, we have our main meal in the middle of the day, and I also have raw nuts in the evening.

      Delete
  7. You might like to look up the Irish Rosti... a similar use of the potato.. perhaps a little more like a pancake though and just as yum.

    ReplyDelete

I love suggestions, questions, critiques, thanks for your comment