Monday, March 12, 2018

Ode to a Ruby Crowned Kinglet

Sometimes life is cruel. I noticed a few gray feathers on the front porch mat, perhaps part of a wing. Later I noticed an orange red tuft. It was the head of a bird. I searched to identify the bird and learned it was a ruby crowned kinglet. The kinglet is known for its friendly nature and can lay a clutch of up to 12 eggs. They make their nests high in trees sometimes 100 feet up, so little is known about their nesting activities. They scratch around on the ground eating insects and also consume poison ivy berries and dogwood seeds. So sorry you met an unfortunate demise sweet little bird. Please know I mourned for you the whole day through and I'll remember you.  Sometimes it's sad to have a cat.

10 comments:

  1. Oh dear, Linda. I've never seen one of those, nor even heard of them. Barney has been a good little hunter, but also shame on him!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Barbara, thanks, I'd never seen one that I knew of either, apparently the orange spot is rather hidden till they are agitated.

      Delete
  2. It's a lovely bird. But Barney was just doing his "job".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Joanne, thanks, yep he is definitely a hunter that's for sure.

      Delete
  3. I think that cats are a bit like scientists and naturalists of a few generations ago, "Ah... look, I spy a rare lesser spotted peep weasel.. or is that two! Must have'em!" And Booom! The last breeding pair is shot, stuffed and mounted in a museum display cabinet! Ha! As a fellow cat owner, I also find the sad evidence of their hunting from time to time.... I wish I could have used their skills this morning, as we discovered a rat in our kitchen at 3.30am... It was trying to hide right up near the ceiling, and had climbed an electrical conduit to get there! I managed to get it down from that lofty perch, but it escaped and is probably in temporary hiding behind the fridge.... I will investigate further a little later in the day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Peter, thanks, you are a hoot, the rat ugh. We had a wood rat in our home years ago and finally got him out. We've had bats, mice, squirrels, chipmunks, most got out with their lives thank goodness.

      Delete
  4. It is sad, Linda... but all part of nature. We have to accept that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rian, thanks, yes all part of nature.

      Delete
  5. It is indeed sad. So very sad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sue, thanks, too sad but I did learn about a new bird I never knew about.

      Delete

I love suggestions, questions, critiques, thanks for your comment