Tuesday, March 20, 2018

Strawberry Critter Cover

Here's the strawberry critter cover Gary and I built. I was going to use chicken wire but then I remembered we had this plastic grid on a roll that we used to protect the tree trunks from Barney scratching on them. We used zip ties to hold the plastic onto the wood frame of 2 x 2s and the top section had a 1 x 2 to reduce the weight. When I want to pick the strawberries I lift the frame off.

Hopefully this will keep the rabbits, squirrels, possums, raccoons, and birds from eating my strawberries. We shall see. In case of freezing weather I can drape a big blanket or tarp over the top. This cover is about the size of a crab trap. In fact it looks like a crab trap. Maybe it might even work as a crab trap. Ha. thanks for reading and for all your comments.

10 comments:

  1. Good luck. I am amazed at how persistent some critters can be.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sue, thanks, we shall see if this works I hope so. Actually I hope I get some strawberries, Ha.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a serious looking cover! You could even just tilt it up on one side and brace it open with a stick...rather than moving the whole thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Barbara, thanks, I tried to get Gary to put a hinge on it but no such luck. Will see if I can rig something up to tilt it.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Hi Joanne, thanks, I hope I get some, we shall see with this weather.

      Delete
  5. I have to admit, Linda... it does look 'critter proof'! It will be interesting to see how well it works. There is a possibility that some strong raccoons could lift it up... ??? If so, I'd love for you to get a pic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rian, thanks, today it didn't get over 32 so it has been covered with a tarp; the raccoon will have to know to lift up the cover, not sure they would if so I can attach a strap driven into the ground.

      Delete
  6. But will it keep you from eating the strawberries? That is the million dollar question! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lee, thanks, now why would I want stop eating strawberries. Ha.

      Delete

I love suggestions, questions, critiques, thanks for your comment