Tuesday, April 17, 2018

Cranberry Beans with Chorizo & Poblanos

Red Mill cranberry beans are an heirloom been and slightly expensive compared to the usual packaged beans. When I read all the vitamins they contain I decided to splurge. The bag contains about 4 cups of beans and was over $6. I used half the beans for this recipe and it made a large batch which we'll have for several days. I'll serve them over rice. Then I still have half of the beans for another time.

Folate, iron, potassium, and magnesium were 20% and calcium was 2%. Not bad for a lowly bean. Isn't folate the mineral pregnant women are always lacking? It must be good for you. I think heritage food products actually contain more vitamins and minerals then the usual items we consume in mass. I'm going to try and incorporate more of these foods in my diet.

The beans are speckled a cranberry color but they fade during soaking and cooking. They are soft and nutty flavored. Next time I think I'll try some other heritage beans, orca beans, I spied on the shelf. Ok I just checked the label on the Red Mill site and the orca beans have even more nutrition. Thanks for reading and for all your comments.

2 comments:

  1. I have found that the heritage food products usually have more flavour as well as more nutrition. And do love beans.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sue, thanks, you are so right. A lot of times fresh heritage foods have a shorter shelf life, hence groceries stopped carrying them and farmer's stopped growing them.

    ReplyDelete

I love suggestions, questions, critiques, thanks for your comment