Monday, November 5, 2018

Homemade Gluten Free Crackers

Every once in a while I crave a cracker but gluten free crackers are so expensive. In fact anything gluten free is always more expensive. The other evening I had a craving for just a cracker or two but my cupboard was bare. I decided to search for a recipe to make my own gluten free crackers. Necessity truly is the mother of invention, you really must try making your own crackers whether they be gluten free or not. Crackers are so easy to make.
Here is a recipe I found for crackers that are not gluten free, but the recipe includes how to preserve them long term in mason jars for your pantry. Basically crackers contain little more than flour and water and a dab of olive oil. Imagine that; and to think how much crackers cost at the grocery. For the crackers I made pictured here I used gluten free baking flour, amaranth, salt, olive oil, a bit of melted butter, and fennel and coriander, and then added water. I probably could have rolled the crackers slightly thinner and pricked them in the center to keep them from puffing up. For a first try these weren't half bad but more research and development is needed.
I rolled my dough out between two pieces of parchment paper, but apparently just flouring a cookie sheet is enough to keep the dough from sticking. The beauty of the parchment paper is that the dough can easily be moved to the cookie sheet. And the parchment paper can be re-used. My crackers were slightly chewy and not flaky but I left them open air and they dried crispy. Next time I'll roll them thinner and bake them slightly longer. Now I'm dreaming of sesame, or poppy seed, or cheese, or rosemary, or garlic, or onion, or you name it. Then there are all the herbs I grow. I can also add those to my crackers. The possibilities are endless. Thanks for reading and for all your comments.

8 comments:

  1. These look delicious!
    Home made crackers are great. I suppose what we pay for is convenience.
    If you have a pasta machine it’s terrific for rolling thin dough.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Suzi, thanks, I don't have a pasta machine, but may have to get one. I am already thinking of other crackers I might make. Yes the convenience; I never thought of making them but they are so quick and easy and don't have any "added" ingredients not good for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They look and sound good. I suspect I would prefer them slightly chewy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sue, thanks, these are surprisingly easy to make and such a ego booster at the pride of having made them at home. Ha.

      Delete
  4. wow would have never thought to make crackers at home.. they sounds great!

    http://www.henatayeb.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Hena, thanks, I never have in the past but now have to be gluten free for the past 8 years or so, which prompted me to give it a try, they are really fun and so quick to make.

      Delete
  5. Fortunately, I'm not gluten-intolerant. And I can never understand why gluten-free has to be so much dearer.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Lee, thanks, I guess because they have to package on separate machinery which may contribute to the cost.

    ReplyDelete

I love suggestions, questions, critiques, thanks for your comment