Friday, December 28, 2018

Round Pounce or Push Plate Forms

Perhaps you recall the square and rectangular pounce or push plate forms that Gary made for me? After seeing the round plate on the Chinese tea egg site (below), I had a hankering for round plate forms. The simplicity and patina of the plate below drew me in like a moth to a flame. The plate below may even be metal for all I know. No matter, inspiration comes in many forms.
I knew we wouldn't be able to cut a perfectly round form so I decided to purchase the round forms. Below you see the round forms, one is 6 inches and the other is 8 inches. The round forms are 3/4 inch thick. Gary will add the handles for me similar to the ones you see on the square forms.
When I cut a slab of clay I cut it about 2 to 3 inches wider than the wood form so there will be enough clay for the plate rim. I make a cardboard template I use to cut the slab of clay. Hum, I may need a compass or some such to cut the cardboard forms perfectly round. There are lots of steps to making work in clay.

Meanwhile I'm on a winter cleaning binge in the studio and display room. Both rooms have become unsightly and extremely unmanageable. I've told myself I'm not allowed to make anything more in clay till I get organized. Just wrapping my head around cleaning up is proving to be a chore. Ha. Thanks for reading and for all your comments.

6 comments:

  1. Good idea for the new year...the round plates! And of course cleaning out the old messes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Barbara, thanks, oh if you only knew about all the old messes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sigh on the old mess front. There are several here too.
    Love the idea of round pounce plates.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Sue, thanks, in my old age I have become quite a procrastinator, out of sight, out of mind, ha.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's been too hot here to get overly excited about cleaning up any messes...mess will have to stay until the temperatures drop...way down!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Lee, thanks, and we are just the opposite, too cold although not exactly as cold as most winters so far, knock on wood. I think I do better in the cold than the hot for cleaning up though so I hear you.

    ReplyDelete

I love suggestions, questions, critiques, thanks for your comment