Sunday, February 17, 2019

Apple Clafoutis

Yesterday my neighbor gave me a bag of apples and I had no idea what to do with them. I decided to make an apple clafoutis. I learned about clafoutis on several cooking programs. A clafoutis can be made with just about any fresh fruit. For this recipe I am using apples.  Peel, core and slice into 1/2 inch slices, 4 medium sized, tart apples. Toss apples with 1 tablespoon of lemon juice and set aside.
Melt 7 tablespoons of butter in skillet. Set aside. Wisk 4 eggs, add one cup of heavy cream or half and half, one teaspoon of vanilla, and set aside. Mix 2/3 cup of all purpose flour or gluten free baking flour in bowl. Add 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, dash of allspice and nutmeg and 1/2 cup of sugar. Add egg mixture to dry ingredients till just blended. Drizzle in melted butter at the end.
Next in same skillet melt two tablespoons of butter, add apples and 1/4 cup of brown sugar (for other fruits you may want to use white sugar) and 3 tablespoons of brandy. Saute, stirring gently, for 3 minutes. Remove apples from skillet with slotted spoon and reserve leftover liquid. With softer fruits you may not have to precook them.
Pour half of batter into skillet then add apples and then pour remaining batter on top of apples. Sprinkle with cinnamon and bake at 400 F preheated oven for 20 to 30 minutes till brown on edges and center is firm.
Cool slightly and serve with creme fraiche or drizzle with reserved apple saute liquid. While cooking the clafoutis expands almost over the top of the pan but after cooling it deflates again. Don't worry that's normal and doesn't affect the taste. Clafoutis is like a cross between a custard, a pancake, and a bread pudding. It's yummy.

6 comments:

  1. What a great use of the apples. Yum.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How timely! I just ate my first clafoutis after church today...it was a gluten free pear clafoutis. That name certainly caught my attention. And being pears, there wasn't cinnamon in this one...but it was a delicious pear and egg custard combination.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Barbara, thanks, I'll have to try it with pears, clafoutis is a keeper recipe.

      Delete
  3. I've seen a recipe using plums but didn't realize any fruit would also work. The apple one looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Anna, thanks, I saw one on a cooking show with plums it was quite colorful.

    ReplyDelete

I love suggestions, questions, critiques, thanks for your comment