Monday, April 22, 2019

Dolmades - Stuffed Grape Leaves

The appetizer for our meal the other day was dolmades (stuffed grape leaves). Set aside adequate time to do the dolmades justice. For these I used cooked rice mixed with lemon and chopped fresh mint. I cooked them open side down in chicken stock. The recipe said to cover them with stock, wonder if they could be steamed? Unfortunately I used too much filling for many which came apart. I made tzatziki which was refreshing and delicious with fresh dill, lemon juice and cucumbers. I had chopped the cucumber fine, next time I'll shred the cucumber. Gary loved these immensely.

I cooked all the fat from the lamb and added chopped onion, celery, carrots, and fresh parsley. What looked like all fat turned out to be a small amount of fat which I discarded. One of my readers said they freeze fat for the birds in winter. Wish I had thought of that. I am left with a large amount of rich gelatinous broth. I'll freeze in small containers ready to be used when I make soup or beans.

After two nights in the upper 30s we're expecting to reach 80 F today. Some critter ate all my baby spinach leaves right down to the nubs. All the other vegetables are doing well. Both home depot and walmart have switched suppliers of vege plants. I want my Bonnie Plants back. I haven't checked at lowes yet. I read bears will be especially hungry this Spring, so keep an eye out. Thanks for reading and for all your comments.

9 comments:

  1. Another yum. I do like dolmades but rarely make them. Sigh on the beastie who doesn't share and liked your spinach.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sue, thanks, they are good, you can add any spice to the rice.

      Delete
  2. I never heard about dolmades, but I love rice....I should try....
    I believe it delicious...yummy

    Have a wonderful day

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tanza, thanks, there are a lot of grape leaves in one jar so be prepared to make a large amount.

      Delete
  3. Oh dear on the spinach leaves, and interesting about the bears. Your dolmades not only sound delicious but they look very pretty how you've arranged them on the plate. We've only just discovered tzatziki, and now we can't stop buying it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should start thinking about trying a recipe!

      Delete
    2. Hi Denise, thanks, try making your own tzatziki, it's very easy, grate the cucumber.

      Delete
  4. You certainly were very industrious, Linda...your dolmades must have been delicious. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Lee, thanks, Gary liked them more than I did. Ha.

    ReplyDelete

I love suggestions, questions, critiques, thanks for your comment