Tuesday, May 20, 2008

A Blue Ribbon for My Ceramic Teapot !!!

I am pleased to announce I was awarded a blue ribbon for my ceramic teapot at the Sequoia Foothill Art Show this weekend. This is the first show where I have entered my ceramics and I am so proud. The photo of my teapot isn't the greatest, but all the ceramic pieces were displayed close together in front of a window, so this was the best I could do. When I saw how my teapot and other works were displayed, I thought I might suggest wood pedestals for ceramic pieces to be displayed on for next year.
I was prompted to enter some of my ceramic pieces in this show since it was to be judged by Una Mjurka, a well known ceramic sculptress. Our show always displays one of the works from each judge. The piece above is one that Una provided to be exhibited. Once again my photo isn't the greatest due to the lighting and the background. I was in awe of her magnolia sculptures. My magnolia tree is in bloom now and Una's sculpture is a wonderful likeness. I love the soft matte glaze she has chosen for this piece.

The show is held in my hometown of Springville, which has a population of about 1500 people. But the surrounding communities all enter their art which probably encompasses a population of about 70,000 people. The show is organized by all volunteers and they do a great job in a short amount of time. There are many talented artists in our area and everyone looks forward to seeing all the art. There were oils, pastels, pen and inks, photography, mixed media, kinetic sculpture, even a children's art section. Despite the heat wave we were having this weekend, the show was well represented and attended.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love suggestions, questions, critiques, thanks for your comment