Thursday, January 30, 2014

Our First Visitor, a Manx

When I drove up to our new home the other day this friendly cat came out to greet me. He was sleeping under the deck. I thought he might be our neighbor's cat since his fur was shiny and he was well fed. He followed me up and down the stairs as I carried box after box.

He's a very friendly Manx cat and follows both Gary and I around like a dog. He wags his shortened tail almost constantly, back and forth, round and round it goes. When I went in the house he meowed to come in. Later our next door neighbor came by and I asked him if he was their cat. He said no, that another neighbor has named him Buckwheat (I think he said) maybe it was Barney. I wonder if it's an omen his name begins with a letter "B"? If you haven't read the story of how we got our cat Butter, click on the link, Yellow Tabby Makes A Choice, and you'll see why a cat's name beginning with the letter "B" is significant.

Later in the week turns out his name is Barney wasn't at our home when we drove up. Later he showed up and "helped" Gary and I unload a U haul full of our belongings. There's a cat door already installed in our home and we've been planning to let our cats be indoor/outdoor cats again. They'll be in seventh heaven after being cooped up in the motorhome for so long. Our cat Butter can be quite territorial, hope he doesn't mind this friendly Manx cat. We're hoping our cats will get along with this little guy when we bring them up to the house in the next day or two. Today is my first pottery class in Helen, GA. Thanks for reading and for all your comments.

12 comments:

  1. He's sure a cutie. Glad to hear you're in clay today. Me too, as soon as I go to the Black Mountain Studio downtown (can 4 blocks be considered a downtown?) Anyway, so glad to hear you're in the process of moving!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Buckwheat looks like a fine welcoming committee! You've had quite an introduction to your new home. Here's to a peaceful settling in!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your new friend is the best neighborhood welcome possible. I can feel the good vibes from here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sweet! both the kitty and the new clay class... have fun.

    ReplyDelete
  5. what a sweetie ... I hope they get along and Buckwheat has a new home ... and, by the way, welcome to yours! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. T.S. Elliot is smiling on you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have a feeling we will here more about this beautiful kitty....:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Do you think he belonged to whoever owned the house before you?
    We had lived here about3 months when a cat that use to come and go when my grandmother lived here showed up. He was not happy to see us and our animals.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a cute cat! Makes me want one. Lol.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It looks like you have a new cat, congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Buckwheat looks like he is having great success in joining you in your new home! I have never met a Manx before, but he certainly looks very friendly. I suspect that he already has found out the significance of the letter "B" (He has been following your blog for sure! I think cats access the internet and other electronic communication through their whiskers!!). Hope your cats get on with him.

    ReplyDelete
  12. come to find out his name is Barney, I had it all wrong, so far I have let my cats sniff him at the door and Binky and Butter hiss at him, Betty just smells his scent, we shall see.

    Busy unpacking and getting some small projects done.

    Hi Barbara, thanks, can't wait to get back to clay.

    Hi Suzi, thanks, a great welcoming committee.

    Hi Kittie, thanks, some things were meant to be I guess.

    Hi Michele, thanks, good omens for sure.

    Hi Teresa, thanks, got lots of work ahead of me, ha.

    Hi Joanne, thanks, nice to have that someone smiling on me for sure.

    Hi Dee, thanks, oh yes they'll be more to come for sure.

    Hi Meredith, thanks, I think he might have belonged so someone who lived here as he doesn't seem to want to leave here and desperately wants to come in, I have to hold back though on that.

    Hi Gigi, thanks, he is so endearing I just can't resist him.

    Hi Lori, thanks, not that we need a new cat with three already but sometimes you just have to accept what fate brings you.

    Hi Peter, thanks, I think the cats don't even need the internet, they sense folks vibes across sound waves or something like that and luckily this guy got the right folks to buy this house. Ha.

    ReplyDelete

I love suggestions, questions, critiques, thanks for your comment