Saturday, May 31, 2008

Gallery Openings & Mosaic Bowl

horsehair pottery and Chinese brush painting Val Tyrrell and her friend Bev stopped by today for short tour of my gallery, Blue Starr Gallery, and my gardens, Springville Lavender Gardens. Val had to rush off for her opening at the Mason House Gallery in Lindsay May 30 through July 4th. Val and David will be exhibiting their horsehair pottery and Chinese brush paintings. Mason House Gallery is located at 147 N Gale Hill Avenue in Lindsay. Normal gallery hours are Tuesday through Friday from 1 to 4 p.m. If you get a chance stop by the gallery. I have seen Val and David's horsehair pottery and it is wonderful. Their Chinese brush paintings are new to me so I look forward to seeing their paintings too.

In addition to horsehair pottery and Chinese brush paintings, Val and David Tyrrell also make ceramic musical instruments. I took a ceramic musical instrument workshop from Val and David a few months ago. The ceramic flute I made in their workshop is on display at the Porterville Art Association Gallery at 152 N. Main in Porterville.


Arts Visalia will feature a solo exhibition of paintings by James Entz from June 4th through June 28th with an opening reception Friday, June 6th from 6 to 8 p.m. Arts Visalia is located at 214 E. Oak Avenue in Visalia. I had a chance to meet James in his studio during the Three Rivers Studio tours in March. The photo on the announcement doesn't do justice to James' vibrant painting, Deep in the Heart, acrylic on wood panel. James has developed a unique process where he applies various layers of acrylic over a long period of time and then carves through the layers to reveal wonderfully colorful patterns. Some of his paintings are a year in the making. This is an exhibit you shouldn't miss.

honed stone mosaic bowl ungrouted Today I started my second mosaic bowl, which is about 15 inches in diameter and 6 inches tall. I am using natural stone tile for the mosaic and I've just finished the interior of the bowl. I haven't decided on a rim treatment for the bowl. I will be grouting the turquoise-gem mosaic bowl, (see previous post) and the stone tile bowl in the next couple of days. I've done a trial placement of the copper tubing on the turquoise bowl and I am pleased with that treatment. I look forward to finishing the turquoise bowl and then I'll decide on the finishing touches for the stone mosaic bowl, perhaps leather or driftwood.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love suggestions, questions, critiques, thanks for your comment