Monday, May 26, 2008

Seeing Double & Fingers in Too Many Pies


Yes, you are seeing the same teapot in this post too. I am pleased to report my teapot took another first place in the Porterville Art Association member show. My teapot will be on display at the Porterville Art Studio Gallery at 152 N. Main Street in Porterville for the next couple of months along with a few other of my ceramic pieces. The show also has some wonderful pieces from many local artists, so if you get a chance, plan on visiting the gallery.

The last few weeks I have had my fingers in too many pies. I decided to take a little break from ceramics and I have been doing some organizing, reading, and dabbling in other artistic media. While Spring cleaning I discovered lots of art materials stored in cabinets and closets. I found a pack of canvas board I bought at a local garage sale a while back and I have been working on this mixed media piece, Garden Dream, 9 x 12 inches, for a few days.I found two 15 inch diameter and 5 inch tall ceramic bowls some time ago at a thrift store. The bowls were bisqued, but I had no idea what kind of clay there were made of, so I didn't want to risk glazing them. So I decided to mosiac the ceramic bowls. Here is my first bowl. I haven't grouted it yet. I happen to like turquoise and brown together and the colors complement my home's decor. I would like to find some copper-colored grout and perhaps finish the rim with copper tubing.
A friend of mine sent me a gift certificate and I have been reading two books I purchased about developing my artistic career. One is the fifth edition of How to Survive & Prosper as an Artist by Caroll Michels which has been updated for on-line marketing and exhibition. The other, Alyson B. Stanfield's, I'd Rather Be In The Studio was recommended by Cynthia Guajardo on her blog Colorado Art Studio. Both of these books are excellent and I've come to realize I have much more to do than just work on my art. Which means I'll be keeping my fingers in all those pies.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love suggestions, questions, critiques, thanks for your comment