Thursday, October 9, 2008

Aren't Babies Cute? ... Some Anyway


Isn't this baby cute? I heard Gary yelling outside and ran out there because I thought he got hurt or something. Gary wanted me to see what a baby rattlesnake looks like. Gary saw this snake under his 1954 Chevy truck in the garage. This rattlesnake is too young to have any rattles, but notice the telltale sign - the arrowhead shaped head. This rattlesnake is about a foot long. Now that I think of it, I haven't noticed as many lizards around the house lately.


My cat, Butter, discovered this snake on the wisteria patio. I put Butter in the house so the snake could get away. I think this snake is a Yellow Bellied Racer. Notice the shape of his head. His head blends right into his body, there isn't a pinched neck or an arrowhead shape to the head. Most snakes will strike at you as a defence mechanism and they may even bite, but only poisonous snakes are dangerous when they bite.
Here's one of my favorite photos of my cat, Butter, in the garden. I digitally manipulate some of my photos, enlarge the photos, and have them mounted on canvas. I also make art cards with my photography and I sell the cards in my gift shop. When people meet Butter they always want a card with Butter's photo on it. Butter's one of those cat's that's hard to resist.

5 comments:

  1. H-O-L-Y S-H-!-T
    I may not come for that visit after all.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bet you've got some copperheads or timber rattlers in your neck of the woods. We keep our grass mowed down real short so we can see any snakes. Reminds me when I was a kid traveling across country and there'd be those signs saying see our baby rattler and folks would pay to see them and there'd be a bunch of baby rattles in a cage, what a hoot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not trying to be mean but that is a gopher snake. Baby rattlesnakes won't have rattles but they will have a button. Gopher snakes try to simulate rattlesnakes just like hognoses do. Please dont kill unidentified snakes.i know this is an older post but i had to comment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Im not trying to be mean but that is not a baby rattlesnake. Its a gopher snake. Baby rattlesnakes do not have a rattle but they do have a button. The gopher snake just likes to act tough just like a hognose snake. Its just a bluff. Please dont kill unidentified snakes!!! I know this post is old i just had to comment.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just found this post on google... That's actually a gopher snake, flattening its head trying to look like a venomous snake. This mechanism gets many of them killed by people, because they are able to do this when they feel threatened.

    ReplyDelete

I love suggestions, questions, critiques, thanks for your comment