Friday, December 19, 2008

Quick, Easy Cranberry Bread


2 cups flour
1 cup sugar
3/4 cup orange juice
1-1/2 tablespoons of orange rind, freshly grated
1/4 cup butter, creamed
1-1/2 cup fresh cranberries
1 tsp baking soda
1-1/2 tsp baking powder
1 egg (I didn't have an egg so I used a quarter cup of vegetable oil)

Cream butter, then add sugar and cream well together. Add in flour, baking soda and baking powder and blend till just mixed in. Stir in orange rind and orange juice and then stir in vegetable oil (I discovered I didn't have any eggs at the last minute, so I had to be creative - so I substituted vegetable oil). (Cream in egg after sugar instead of oil if you have an egg). Last gently stir in cranberries. (I added a tad more orange juice to get the batter to stir up at the end, keep the batter very stiff and thick though). Grease and flour an 8 x 4 x 4 inch glass loaf pan (metal will do, but glass bakes so much nicer - plus you can see the bread through the glass), then bake at 350 F for about 35 to 40 minutes. If you put bread in muffin tins, only bake it for 25 minutes.

The cranberry bread just came out of the oven. Gary and I are eating a slice right now, and it's really good!

5 comments:

  1. This does sound delicious -- I've printed out the recipe - thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Judy, hope you enjoy it, and happy holidays to you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This recipe sounds yummy! I love cranberries and am going to try this out during the holidays while my inlaws are in town. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks for sharing... I hope to make this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Cynthia, I love cranberries too and they are good for you - great justification for making the bread.

    Hi Amy, hope you like the bread - it is really moist - somehow our bread has disappeared. I might have to make another loaf.

    ReplyDelete

I love suggestions, questions, critiques, thanks for your comment