Wednesday, March 11, 2009
Originally I thought about making a narrow window box shaped vase. I wanted it to look like slabs of granite were leaned up against one another and were standing upright. As I was working on the piece, I realized thick pieces of clay would not work since they would be too thick to go through the firing process. So I changed my intention midstream. I've named my vase Crowded City since it feels like many buildings were crowded into a small section of land.
After I made the drawing in my journal, I realized I would need some sort of form to make the geometric pieces of clay. I cut out cardboard templates for the front and back of the window box. I drew the sides and bottom pretty much freehand with a ruler after I assembled the front and back, that way I knew what size to make the sides and bottom. I guess this is what folks call an intuitive process. The birth of this clay piece was rather traumatic and halfway through I was wondering why I was attempting to make the piece.
While I was working I was feeling the tension of how to fit the various geometric shapes of clay together as one. I wanted to attach them all together, have them stand upright, and have them function as a whole. This piece has 17 separate sections I fit together. I somehow got them to stand upright all at the same time, and assembled them into a functional piece. The window box is 14 inches long 9 inches high and about 4 inches wide.
It was really difficult to get this piece to come together, but now that I have it assembled I am really hoping it makes it through the drying and firing phases. Drawings are so flat and my clay pieces have so much more depth and look completely different than what my drawings do. Often, I am pleasantly surprised at what I create from clay.
Here's today's rose from my garden. While I've been perusing my rose photos I noticed I took most of them in the bright sunlight and many are out of focus. I guess I'll get busy when they start blooming again this year and take more photos.