Wednesday, August 25, 2010
Spent what seemed like hours making a surface on this piece, hoping to make it appear worn and faded, but it wasn't quite right. It was so faded there wasn't anything visible (shown in second photo). This piece is about 12.5 inches tall by 6 by 2.5 inches wide.
After I put the piece in the drying cabinet I looked at the photo below and decided to try improving the surface. The upper photo is what I ended up with, which is now drying in the cabinet. The piece evolved into an impressionistic look. I wanted to tone the flowers down more, but Gary, my clay advisor, said to leave it alone.
Was thinking of glazing some of the pieces made with this clay. Supposedly it can be glazed with a clear, but it would take numerous firing experiments to get it right. Remember the moon craters? I don't want moon craters for these types of pieces. Since I'd have to fire test pieces to a lower temperature than anything else I make, it's not practical to do the testing.
It's times like these when I wish I had a tiny test kiln. I keep looking, hoping to find a used one at a reasonable price. Since this piece won't have a glaze I added the interlaced top grid to discourage functional use. I'm thinking of making a sticky label for the bottom of these non functional pieces saying they're for decorative use only. I'll have to work on that.
My cat, Betty, is relaxing in one of her favorite spots, balancing on the back of the chair. Every day for the past week or so we've been having thunderstorms, and each day storms have gotten progressively worse instead of better. Tonight it's supposed to let up a little so I decided to take a risk and fire the kiln. The kiln is up to 1298 F. Please keep your fingers crossed lightening doesn't strike and the electricity doesn't go out. Comments and suggestions are welcome.