Monday, November 15, 2010

Possible Studio Assistant

Saturday we went to the local seafood festival and had a nice time. I met several local potters I know and ran into the wood turner who I visited a few months back. I also found out a local woman teaches pine needles basket weaving. I plan on taking a class from her. She lives about 15 minutes from me. I'll be adding a few more booth photos to my blog page when I have time.

When I got home I unloaded the bisque and thought to myself, I can quickly get these glazed and fire this load. I decided to glaze in the garage right next to the kiln. Gary helped set up a table and I immediately started glazing. Next thing you know Gary opens the garage door and asks are you alive in there? I said yes. He said do you know what time it is. I said no. The back door has a blind on it and the big door was closed to keep dust out while I'm glazing. Gary said it's five o'clock in the morning. I got so carried away I stayed up all night glazing.

I still wasn't finished, so I talked Gary into glazing some magnets I made with scrap clay. He finished them for me and brought them into the garage for me to load. He said glazing is very relaxing. Do you think I have a possible studio assistant? I hope so. Actually Gary helps me quite a bit, but I didn't think I could talk him into glazing. He used to make model airplanes when he was a kid and says he likes detail work. I think hand glazing is right up his alley.

Since I hand brush all the glazes it takes me quite a while. And I have to stir up all the glazes and thin them if they need it. Then several of the pieces I glazed this time have two or three colors on them. I finally finished glazing yesterday and will start the kiln this morning. Keep your fingers crossed I used some unusual combinations of glazes this time. Stay tuned for some colorful work coming up soon.


  1. wow 5am.... talk about being in the zone!!!

  2. Now that is passion, when time means nothing.
    Been a while for me to have something consume me enough to keep me up all night. How wonderful.

  3. You were on a roll! What a treat to be able to stick with it through the night. Uninterrupted studio time is sooo cool. You go girl!

  4. Hi Ang, thanks, yeah I kept thinking it was only about midnight or something. Ha.

    Hi Patti, thanks, I think I really wanted to get them fired and see how they turn out I just started working away. I kind of amazed myself.

    Hi Patricia, thanks, the garage is so quiet and without any windows, time kind of stood still in my mind I guess.

    An eerie thought just crossed my mind. Wonder what it would be like not to see the sun, not to know if it was day or night. Kind of a scary thought.

  5. Hi Michele, thanks, actually that was Sunday I took my nap for four hours, then stayed up till 2 am then back up at 8 am today. Today I'm firing. Then I have another bisque and so on, no rest for the wicked.

  6. HA! That's crazy that it was 5am!! I think you have a wonderful apprentice (with all of the fringe benefits too!) hopefully he won't quit on you and start his own pottery -or want a commission on the pieces he glazed that sell :o) So glad you are going full tilt with your production -you have to fill up your new shelves!

  7. Hi Cindy, thanks, I still can't believe it was 5 am. Gary will be happy if I sell some pieces here; hopefully that will happen very soon.

  8. More booth photos are up now.


I love suggestions, questions, critiques, thanks for your comment