Monday, November 29, 2010
Scales Are Tipped
The scales are tipped; there was more bad than good in this firing. But first I'll share the good. Wonder if there's a better way to arrange this bowl set for a photo? Perhaps I should have propped up the smaller bowls? What do you think?
Here's the front of the large bowl which is 4H x 10.5W inches. The smaller bowls are 1.5H x 6W inches.
And the back. There's a lot of texture in the surface. I might try this set without texture next time.
This snowflake bowl is 3H x 12W inches, and has a soft touch with a creamy translucent glaze.
The woven tray is 2.5H x 10.5L x 9W inches. The lavender matt is good; the gold color was supposed to be mottled blue, but still works with the lavender color. I might not have put enough glaze, but I didn't want to risk the glaze running since it's an open weave.
The cake stand is 4.25H x 10W inches. Looks OK doesn't it? Well if I turn it the other way, the pedestal is off center. The two had separated during the bisque. I glazed them together, but when I moved it in the kiln I must have moved the top off center. It was a little warped out of the bisque, but I fired it anyway because I wanted to see if it warped more. It didn't. These cake stands are a real challenge, but I'll keep at it.
This 3.5H x 11.5L x 10W inch tray was a big disappointment to me because the handle on one side separated. The speckled clay and not so perfect (worn look) to the slip give it an aged look which reminds me of French country style. Darn I really like the look of this tray. Guess I'll have to make more.
Here's a shot of the separated handle. It was fine out of the bisque. But I formed the handle with a twist in it and it must have wanted to go back to it's straight shape. I notice many potter's put their handles on the inside of pieces, but I like the handles on the outside because it's easier to wash. Other handles I've made like this didn't come off, but this one did. I need to work more on my handle shapes.
The moonlit forest tray is another disappointment. It's 2.5H x 10.25W inches. I noticed some surface cracks in the clay before the bisque and I smoothed them out. They didn't show in the bisque, but came back again after the glaze. I do the slip work and then form up the sides. The B mix clay must have been too dry to bend at that point.
Here's a shot of the hairline cracks. They are only on the surface and don't go through to the bottom. Clay has a memory, too good sometimes.
This round tile is part of a mixed media grouping, but I made it so long ago I forgot what type of clay it was. It was supposed to be green, but the speckled stoneware clay turned the crackle glaze to an ugly brown. Maybe I can use the group for something else. Since I'm using several different clay bodies I might have to have a code letter on the back of each piece to remind me when I glaze them.
Not much else in this load except these glaze tests. The large trays and bowls take up a lot of room in the kiln. I suppose if I had ten of one thing and one was bad it wouldn't be so hard to take. When I have only one of something then it seems harder.
I think I'll start making multiples with different colors of slip deco or glazes, and refine and make improvements in the shapes where needed. Of course I say that now, but you know how I am, always trying something new. If you missed my previous post, there's a thanksgiving giveaway with a twist. If you win, I send the gift to someone else you choose. That's it for now.