Friday, March 25, 2011

Painting Is Like Clay


We learned about painting a value study in class on Monday. I also learned I can do a whole painting with just three colors. Using the right values, light, medium and dark, the painting will look correct to the human eye. Our teacher did a landscaping painting as a demo with just blue, umber and white. I forgot to bring my camera to class, otherwise I'd show you the painting. So I could paint a face in blue or red and using the right values, it would look correct to the viewer's eye. I'll have to give it a try.


I had a perfectly good start with an ocean and sunset and then I decided to add some texture to the ocean then random dots to the sky. Can you guess what I used for the texture. Then I asked myself, is this painting going to be realistic or impressionistic or what. I think painting is going to be a lot like clay, it's going to take a lot of practice and experimentation before I know where I want to go.


This is a beginning for the painting in the first photo; I have much more to do on it. I now have three paintings in process. With paint I don't have to keep the paint wet if I want to add more, but sometimes I have to let it dry before I can add more. To be continued. Oh, that's the first tortoise I was able to capture in a photo for this year, they've woke up from their winter slumber and he's mowing the grass for us.

Please read Temptation of Words post about "The Other Side of Japan's Agony" a very uplifting read about people helping people.

8 comments:

  1. Linda, you are sooo talented. Your painting is vivid, alive, and beckoning. You're amazing!! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kittie, thanks, you are too kind, I hope to improve this and the other two I've done, I want more depth, have a great weekend yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So beautiful, Linda..I love the tile paintings..
    Keep the photos coming.:)
    Lots of us being inspired to do some tile work. :)
    good day to you!
    T.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Trish, thanks, that's actually paint on canvas, looks like a tile but it isn't, still working on it, doing tile painting on clay too though, so glad you are inspired. Have a good weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Linda, thanks for linking to the letter from Japan. I think this is one that might go around the world a few times, deservedly so.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your painting! The more you paint, the easier it'll get! (like most things) Have a wonderful weekend, cher!

    ReplyDelete
  7. How interesting to deconstruct the painting process to make it look natural. You've got the talent.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Deborah, thanks for stopping by, so glad to have read the post.

    Hi Marguerite, thanks, yes like most things practice makes perfect.

    Hi Paul, thanks, I'll post to share about the million cranes with a link here, thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete

I love suggestions, questions, critiques, thanks for your comment