Saturday, May 14, 2011

Loaded & On The Cool List


All loaded. Oops, I was so happy I got the flower cart loaded without breaking it, I forgot the cone pack. I'll have to move things around to fit the cones on the top shelf.

In other news, my blog was chosen as one of the top 50 cool ceramics blogs by Guide to Art Schools. Not sure about their description that I pride myself in making pottery that really means something important, but what the heck, I'm on the cool list. But wait a minute my pottery is really important to me and that counts in my book.


I've been drooling over some red Florida clay being dug in a construction zone near our home. They are going to pave over it so I had to get some soon. Gary mentioned this to our neighbors and they brought me a whole trash can full. If I make all of this clay into terra sig it will last me forever. This clay is red now, but when it's fired to Cone 6 it turns a toasty brown in color. Looks like there's some limestone in there too. Maybe this clay is different than the last pail of clay I got. I better make a few test tiles. Maybe I can make a quick batch of slip and put it on a few flowers in this bisque load.

I'll be in marathon firing mode for the next several days so stay tuned for some finished pieces real soon. Thanks for reading and for all your encouragement and comments, your readership means a lot to me.

14 comments:

  1. Well, I think you were on the cool list before they recognized it. :) I so enjoy reading about your enthusiasm for pottery and your creative process.

    Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've been on my cool list for a long time...ha ha ha! Congratulations! very deserving...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Celebrity is a dangerous thing. Don't let the fame go to your head and end up like Charlie Sheen. Seriously tho, congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats big time on making the cool list and I am just glad they finally found you. You should have been there long ago.
    Enjoy that bucket full of free Fl. clay. All I ever saw in Fla was sand and limestone.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Look at that kiln load of work!! how fun -I miss having "Christmas year round" as I used to open the kilns! you've been working hard!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely kiln load of florals!
    That Florida clay looks yummy.
    My Sunflower platters are almost bone dry. So far no cracks (knock on wood). Can't wait to see yours :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love all the flowers you've been
    making. Flower carts are really cool too, as is your blog as well as you...congratulations on being voted as such.

    ReplyDelete
  8. mmmmm.... that clay looks so yummy, love that red color, I thought there was just sand in Florida :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. We found we could use the local Maine clay as a substitute for Albany Slip. Does the Florida Red work as a glaze ingredient?
    I am so glad I visited here today, as when I clicked on your link, I discoverd I am on the list, too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations, Linda. I can understand why you are thrilled. That really is an honor. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Teresa, thanks, I guess cool goes right along with the flower power doesn't it?

    Hi Turquoisemoon, thanks so much. I was thinking of you the other day, wondering if you might want a package of pottery shards to use with your mosaics; I'll contact you personally.

    Hi Dennis, thanks, no worries here, I only want part of the salary for one episode Charlie Sheen has and I'll be happy and never ask for any more, Ha.

    Hi Patti, thanks, I'm going to make another post and take some photos of this stuff so folks can see it, we are on a ridge here at 95 feet which is high for Florida so maybe there is a little bit of clay in the state.

    Hi Cindy, thanks, yeah opening is really like xmas you hit it on the head and with all the small items I will have a big xmas this time, I can't wait.

    Hi Cindy, thanks, yes this clay is a very beautiful color I can't wait to use. I'll keep my fingers crossed for your sunflower platter, that is such a wonderful design I hope it turns out. can't wait to see how you glaze it.

    Hi Barbara, thanks, I can't wait to glaze some of these since I have an abundance and will have lots of choices for glazes.

    Hi Tracey, thanks, yes the color is really beautiful, I can't wait to try it.

    Hi Lori, thanks, I haven't tried it as a glaze ingredient only as slip or terra sig, but now I have enough to experiment with more so I'll be doing that, congrats to you too.

    Hi Mary, thanks, I think some of these blog awards are kind of hit and miss, but I'll take what I can get, and I appreciate the discovery by them.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've always thought you were cool! Your creativity is awesome, Linda. Have fun with your Florida clay. Can't wait to see what you create!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congrats on making the cool list and scoring all of that red clay! Love the Seashore Flower in your sidebar, too!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Kittie, thanks, I seem to find more projects for myself, I need to whittle some of them down I think.

    Hi Marguerite, thanks, glad you like the flower more flowers are coming up soon.

    ReplyDelete

I love suggestions, questions, critiques, thanks for your comment