Tuesday, June 28, 2011
Behind the scenes I've been working out the details for assemblages in my flower power series. I'm learning to use all kinds of tools, drills, saws, dremels, and so on. The items used are ones I made or collected. Here's a few I've been working on this past week. The flowers in this one will be stitched on the wood with rusty metal wire like a button to clothing. The piece of wood, pecky cypress, is large, about 18 x 12 inches and thick too. I'll have to have a sturdy hanger for it.
I like the texture variations in this one. I'm hesitant with these since I've never done assemblage before. I have to arrange and rearrange, then then come back in a day or two and rearrange some more. They're bits and pieces of life collected, memories weathered and worn, and the fresh flowers keeping them company. I have an idea to incorporate some of my photographs with these too.
I like the way the wire looks like its reaching for the 'fried eye' lavender flower in this one. Since I don't have the backs on these yet to hang them, I had to lay them flat for a photo. So I took them out on the driveway, the lighting seemed good for photos there. Thanks for reading and for your encouragement.