Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Totally Pinched


The look of this clay in the greenware state mesmerizes me. The color is soft and warm and the shape somehow comforting. I wish I didn't have to fire this piece; I wish it was finished now. I used one lump of clay, so it's totally pinched. Come to think of it, I'm totally pinched, but happily, in the grip of clay.


Sometimes the stem is too soft to hold up the weight of the bowl right after I make it. So I use my pinch bowl holder. A dry sponge balanced on top of a container will let the bowl hang freely till the stem hardens up a bit. I wrap the bowl with soft plastic, but leave the stem exposed a while, usually fifteen minutes to half an hour. Then I carefully remove the piece, set it upright, and cover it to dry in the cabinet.


A posey of flowers placed inside could drape nicely over the wavy edge; a fruit compote could be shared by two. Maybe I'll make a couple of spoons. Thanks for reading and for all your comments and encouragement.

7 comments:

  1. That's a great idea. I normally use a heat gun but that's time consuming and not as eco friendly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lori, thanks, just be careful it doesn't tip over, or if you have cats that they don't knock against it. Ha.

    ReplyDelete
  3. the tricks of the trade! i went through a spell of making spoons and unfortunately broke two of them in the last 3-4 months... maybe i should get busy making some more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Linda

    What a nice thing to see first thing in the morning! I love pinch pots. It is very meditative to start many forms this way. Thanks for sharing your trick with the sponge and bottle.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are so good at improvising.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Michele, thanks, how do you glaze the spoons, do you stilt them, I've only made a couple and didn't know what to do.

    Hi Charlene, thanks, yes the dry sponge on a bottle really helps sometimes. I do like pinching forms, the repetition of it all.

    Hi Patti, thanks, you'd have a good laugh at some of the things I've done. Ha.

    Hi Dennis, thanks, yeah we all scream for ice cream, home made would be really good.

    ReplyDelete

I love suggestions, questions, critiques, thanks for your comment