Friday, July 15, 2011

A Multitude of Mushrooms

Do you love to see mushrooms? I do; they seem like mysterious little beings. Surely they hold some secrets I haven't yet discovered. After five inches of rain the other day we were rewarded with a multitude of mushrooms emerging everywhere. I photographed all of these the same day on one acre of land where I live here in Florida.


I love walking along and seeing them, they are so beautiful and peaceful looking. If I have a worry or a care I can take solace in these mushroom treasures from nature. Pretend you're walking along with me. I tried to take some of the photos from a fairy's point of view.

This mushroom is large enough for a fairy to live underneath.



This one could be a fairy bathtub since it's full of rain water.




Mushrooms are so short lived so I have to appreciate them while I can. If I don't notice them when they emerge they will be gone before I know it.





Can you believe how many mushrooms I found? I am sure there were more but duty called me back to other projects.

This last mushroom photo has nut shells and a grub worm, can you see them? That's it for the mushroom walk, hope you enjoyed it.

Yesterday I wore myself out glazing all day. Then I loaded the kiln and started it to fire during the night. Then I tried to go to sleep, but was wide awake. The kiln has been firing all night long. Hopefully the weather will hold till it's finished. Up next news about a workshop I'm attending and hopefully good news from the kiln. Thanks for reading and for all your comments.
© Linda Starr

18 comments:

  1. I love workshops and can't wait to read about it!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What variety...who would have guessed. Hope you didn't try to eat any of them! They each seem to have a character of their own. It would be fun to see them in a collage.

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW! and I thought we had a lot of mushrooms here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow. that's a mushroom extravaganza! I love them and it is so fun walking and seeing them, but I've never seen so many in one walk. col. And from a fairy's viewpoint, fairy bath rub and all. I love this.

    I hope your firing went well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That should be "cool," not col. :) I either need to slow down or do more proof reading.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Mel, thanks, I'll bet you're having a blast in Santa Fe.

    Hi Kate, thanks, not I never eat wild mushrooms I don't profess to know a thing about identification for them, but I love their transient beauty.

    Hi Meredith, thanks, I guess I didn't venture into the wood sections last year and missed all these beauties. I'm going to make a point of checking more routinely.

    Hi Teresa, thanks, I see why so many songs and books have been written about mushrooms, they inspire the imgination for sure.

    Ha. I knew what you meant.

    ReplyDelete
  7. those are some beautiful mushrooms!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Michele, thanks, they almost make me want to make some ceramic mushrooms, I know muchrooms are overdone, but they are so wonderful

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've haven't stopped by in awhile. Thanks for the lovely Fairy Stroll. I adore your mushroom photos. Mushrooms are kinda like Owls I guess in the "overdone" dept. But I still love both. I saw a crazy Owl cookie jar at Anthro. the other day that looked like one I owned in the70's!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Barbara, thanks, you are right owls are seen everywhere; what is Anthro? would be cool having a vintage cookies jar of any style.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love shrooms. What a great selection. They are almost like snowflakes in their variations.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a lovely walk! Such a gift after the rains.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Patti, thanks, that is a good analogy, like snowflakes. I was amazed I'm going to be keeping my eyes open more regularly from now on.

    Hi Charlene, thanks, yes it was truly a gift particularly at the time I noticed them the other day since I had just gotten some no so good news. Things happen for a reason I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  14. should be 'not' so good news

    ReplyDelete
  15. I took a ton of mushroom pictures at Penland last summer. I've not done anything with the pictures but now I'm inspired to do something. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Lori, thanks, I know mushrooms are overdone, but I need to use these in some art somehow, can't wait to see your photos.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I too cannot believe how many mushrooms you found, it is like that when you start looking though!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Kitty, thanks, hope these inspire you, can't wait to see your pot with mushrooms

    ReplyDelete

I love suggestions, questions, critiques, thanks for your comment