Saturday, December 3, 2011

Gallery Exhibit & Shows


This weekend is Heritage and Florida Folk Life Days in Floral City. Last night there were luminaries, singing of carols, an outdoor fish fry, and rides in a horse drawn wagon to ring in the holiday season. Today and Sunday are Florida Folk Life Days with a tour of historic homes, folk music, and artisan demonstrations. There's also an antique car show, library book sale, and roasted pig on a spit with all kinds of other country foods. The whole town has rolled out the red carpet so come on by and enjoy the festivities and be sure to stop in the museum, shops and galleries.


I had second thoughts about selling the bowl above which is fresh out the kiln; I wanted to keep it for myself. I'm finally feeling more comfortable working at mid fire range after switching from high fired work from several years ago. The bowl above, several leaf platters, and a few gem stone embellished pieces were installed in my artist's cooperative at Florida Artists Gallery in Floral City. There was already a nice display of some of my large wall tiles. If you're in the area, please stop in to see my work.


These leaf shaped platters are versatile because they can be used for food, but can also be hung on the wall or placed on an easel for a natural yet festive display. I have an idea to make more of them in various sizes and glaze colors.


Today and on the 17th of this month I'll be at the the artisan and farmer's market in Inverness in the mornings with more pottery, and this afternoon at the Florida Artists Gallery in Floral City. I'll be demonstrating making pinch bowls. Below is the one small sized plate which didn't crack in the bisque. Back to work next week.


There's a few more irons in the fire, so stay tuned. Oh, the once fire and glaze fire did fine together in the same kiln, more about the other pieces later. This post is part of Artist's In Blogland Show and Tell Saturday. Thanks for all the support from my blogger and potter friends, I really appreciate your comments and emails.

18 comments:

  1. Oooh Linda, those are beautiful! You are so talented...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those leaves are stunning!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just love the first leaf. What's the glaze?

    I find it funny when I see you writing Inverness. Most of my Family were born in Inverness....Scotland!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Like those leaf platters. Glad the combo once fire and glaze worked well. Toes crossed for many happy sales! :-D

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are gorgeous pieces!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so impressed with your lovely pieces and your output!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The second one is grand.~Mary

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the rust-colored leaf! It's beautiful. I completely understand wanting to keep pieces like these for yourself. :)

    -- Sarah, visiting from Artists in Blogland

    ReplyDelete
  9. i bet those leaves will find new homes very quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gorgeous work...beautiful everyone of the pieces!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I too really liked the color on that first leaf. Quite striking.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Turquoisemoon, thanks so much, the glazes turned out great this time.

    Hi Cazz, thanks, shoot me an email, yeah I think the name of Inverness is strange for Florida as many of the names are after Native Americans.

    Hi Smartcat, thanks so much, when I first opened the kiln the once fires looked dark and I though the glazes flashed on them but it was just the colors of the underglazes, ha, had a scare for a minute.

    Hi Geri, thanks so much, I was really happy with this group.

    Hi Ms. Sparrow, thanks very much, I work in spurts it seems. Ha.

    Hi Mary, thanks, normally I don't like red, but that red is kind of rustic which I like.

    Hi Sarah, thanks, yeah the color glaze is one of my favorites as it is semi translucent and lets the leaf pattern show.

    Hi Michele, thanks, the gallery raved about the leaves and featured them on their xmas table.

    Hi Joni, thanks every so much, I had a lucky firing this time for sure.

    Hi Patti, thanks, yeah it reminds me of the color of some maple leaves in the fall, I like it too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Black Pumpkin, thanks so much, I need to make more of my leaves as they are really popular. They take a while to dry though.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Those leaves look absolutely stunning! Love!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Linda this is a really great group of group of work.... I really love the very first piece, but they are all pretty lovely.... great post xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Natasha, thanks so much, glad you like them, will be making more.

    Hi Tracey, thanks, I had hard time letting that bowl go but the gallery president twisted my arm.

    ReplyDelete
  17. The bowl is gorgeous Linda, I would have a hard time parting with it too! xox Corrine

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Corrine, thanks, oh well have to make room for more.

    ReplyDelete

I love suggestions, questions, critiques, thanks for your comment